News Tiger Lake Tested: We Benchmark Intel’s Latest With Iris Xe Graphics and 10nm SuperFin

Congrats to Intel on the massive improvements they have made.

Competition is a good thing! And now consumers have a choice: Faster multi core or faster integrated graphics.

Now lets see how they do on desktop against Zen 3 and next gen mcm APU's with Navi built in.

Dec 19, 2019
Why wasnt the 4800U configured to 25W to compare its GPU like for like with the Intel at 25W? Whats the point of showing the Intel 25W config vs. the AMD locked down to 15W?

Seeing how the Renoir Vega GPU barely edges out the Tiger Lake Xe GPU in all tests at 15W, it would have been very useful to show the differences at 25W. Unless Im understanding this wrong and the 4800u was configured for 25W, thats a pretty huge test to omit.

The CPU's single thread performance looks like they've made the generational leap.

That graphics performance has me hopeful too as if Intel releases a discrete GPU, it'll be a good one. Maybe not the best, but at least another contender in the $250-$400 market.

rgd1101

Don't
Why wasnt the 4800U configured to 25W to compare its GPU like for like with the Intel at 25W? Whats the point of showing the Intel 25W config vs. the AMD locked down to 15W?

Seeing how the Renoir Vega GPU barely edges out the Tiger Lake Xe GPU in all tests at 15W, it would have been very useful to show the differences at 25W. Unless Im understanding this wrong and the 4800u was configured for 25W, thats a pretty huge test to omit.
agree. not clear what 4800U running at.
and what the battery? power run off? and temp

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

neblogai

Distinguished

Lenovo Slim 7 with Renoir has several performance modes. I think the quiet one is 15W, then there is the default, recommended 'balanced', and also- 'extreme performance'. The latter runs at 27W sustained plugged in, 30W from battery (yes, in that order). Balanced profile- just a bit below that- though I can not remember exact wattage. Should be at about 25W though.
Hardware Unboxed have a review of 4800U in the same Slim 7, at 15W and 25W (not vs Tiger Lake though):
View: https://youtu.be/hFYdHkvRs2c

Reactions: Kamen Rider Blade

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
As other have asked was that on the extreme performance settings for the Ryzen 4800u?

@PaulAlcorn I am little bit disappointed.
I see you helped write this review, I expected your usual standrad not this thing.

Where is the usual productivty test that you make? Blender, photoshop, 7-zip, handbrake, pov ray, matlab..... I am usually happy with your reviews.

I was excited and than all the air came out not seeing the more usual benchmarks and some weird ai and multi media aggregated(I have no idea what this term even mean). :( .

Usually I consider your benchmarks much better than this :(.

Will have to wait for HardwareUnboxed.

Thank you for your efforts anyway.... will just have to wait a little longer.

rgd1101

Don't
Lenovo Slim 7 with Renoir has several performance modes. I think the quiet one is 15W, then there is the default, recommended 'balanced', and also- 'extreme performance'. The latter runs at 27W sustained plugged in, 30W from battery (yes, in that order). Balanced profile- just a bit below that- though I can not remember exact wattage. Should be at about 25W though.
Hardware Unboxed have a review of 4800U in the same Slim 7, at 15W and 25W (not vs Tiger Lake though):
View: https://youtu.be/hFYdHkvRs2c
not clear what this article is. not that hard to include it in the spec

anandtech did the test with the same 4800u laptop on 15w
fyi anandtech is our sister site.

Last edited:

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
As other have asked was that on the extreme performance settings for the Ryzen 4800u?

@PaulAlcorn I am little bit disappointed.
I see you helped write this review, I expected your usual standrad not this thing.

Where is the usual productivty test that you make? Blender, photoshop, 7-zip, handbrake, pov ray, matlab..... I am usually happy with your reviews.

I was excited and than all the air came out not seeing the more usual benchmarks and some weird ai and multi media aggregated(I have no idea what this term even mean). :( .

Usually I consider your benchmarks much better than this :(.

Thank you for your efforts anyway.... will just have to wait a little longer.
This is more like a preview, controlled by Intel. They couldn't do everything they usually do. It's written in the article, really. Did you guys read it, or just skipped to the benchmarks?

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
This is more like a preview, controlled by Intel. They couldn't do everything they usually do. It's written in the article, really. Did you guys read it, or just skipped to the benchmarks?
Lol... skipped for benchmarks.
I was looking for the productivty and gaming test, was too excited to see a review :).
Knowing Intel the ryzen 4800u was in saving mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: salgado18

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Again, IPC is strong with this one... :vip:
5xbLzvL.png

Dolphin emulator is mostly single htreaded, and it beat a desktop CPU... :bounce:

Reactions: Memnarchon

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
This review coming after the boot up review..... really really disappointing.

I don't like the level of the articles in this site lately.
I was hoping to enjoy a review and that is the second time I am coming out feeling really disappointed.
Will know to adjust my expectations in the future :(.

Reactions: philipemaciel
All I can say is that it's pretty decent. Now put in in actual products people can buy and review a couple of those. Won't be fully convinced until I can order one off of Amazon for myself, but I am finally optimistic about an Intel CPU in laptops again. Hopefully this time they don't take 3 quarters from announcement to finally get them in stock in a meaningful way and hopefully Intel don't price themselves out of the competition again.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
But we do, however, see an idea of how things will be. Tiger Lake’s 10nm SuperFin technology appears to be competitive with AMD’s top-end Ryzen 7 4800U at 15W, and, at 28W and with Dynamic Tuning, even better, at least when it comes to single-core workloads. With multi-core workloads, AMD still has the advantage on its top-end part, with double the cores and threads.

I assume this means the 4800U tests were all run at 15W.