salimai

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I purchased a new system and just put it together today. I barely got all my hardware to fit, with the exception of one thing: the extra fan I added to the side panel of my case bends a fin on my CPU heatsink if I leave it attached. So what I'm wondering is if that is really a problem? My CPU is an AMD 9950BE and the cooler is a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. Advice?

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You could always mount the fan on the outside of the sidepanel and buy a metal wire finger guard for about $1 to screw to the outside of the fan.
Just a thought, if you really must have the fan for extra cooling.
Or look for a low-profile fan of the same size (80mm, 92mm, 140mm, etc.) to keep the fan inside the case for a clean look.

Bending a few fins on the cooler won't hurt a bit. Just be certain that the fan is not pushing the cooler off center of the chip.

A side fan is sometimes not helpful to cooling. It tends to disrupt the good front to back air flow. Try turning the fan off and see if it makes a difference in cooling.

salimai

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I'll go ahead and take the fan off, as it seems it will likely be doing little to no good anyway.