Tight stock Core 2 fan BENTS by Gig 965P-DS3

Jpeg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Hi, this is my first time building a PC from scratch and I run into this really odd problem. The stock fan that comes with E4300 was too tight for my motherboard and the pin/connectors from the fan actually bents the motherboard. Even though this is my first time building something like this, I'm pretty sure I did every thing right. The cpu is tightly secured and the fan pins/connectors were pushed into the right position like the instructions said.

Here's an ugly paint drawing of what my motherboard looks like right now:
tightfanad7.jpg

My system runs perfectly and I haven't run into any error yet. Any suggestions on what should I do with this problem? Should I get a new fan or stick to this right now since it works fine.

If you suggest I get a new fan which should I get? A lot of people recommend ZALMAN CNPS9500 but it's $50 a pop and Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is good but it got the same scary inflexible connector pins like the core 2 stock fan.

PS: Sorry if I post in the wrong section, I really don't know where else to put it.

Thanks~

Jpeg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
That's a good idea but I don't want it to impermanently deform the mobo and make future upgrades impossible.

Jpeg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Ok, it's running 52 C idle. Also for some odd reason CPU-Z is saying my E4300 is running at 6X multiplyer at 1.2GHz which is wrong... Core temp is telling me that it's running at 9X200 with 1.8GHz.

Arimoto

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
it's above normal to be 52 C @ idle. Are you sure you installed the stock fan correctly? What type of mobo you have?

Just my wild guess, you have something between the stock heatsink & CPU socket that's causing the mobo to deform...

weilin

Distinguished
that sounds rather likely, you did take the plastic stuff off of everything before you mounted the heatsink right? the cpu should be directly touching the paste like material on the bottom of hte heatsink.

Jpeg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
ok, this is really weird, on Core Temp it saids my CPU temp is 52C but on SpeedFan it saids my CPU temp is 37C. Which one do you think is right? I really hope it's SpeedFan :)

weirdfanys8.jpg

Edit: the mobo bios said that the idle temp is 37C so i think Core Temp is messed up.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ok, it's running 52 C idle. Also for some odd reason CPU-Z is saying my E4300 is running at 6X multiplyer at 1.2GHz which is wrong... Core temp is telling me that it's running at 9X200 with 1.8GHz.
6x multi and 1.2 GHz is fine - that just mean Speedstep is on - it underclocks the CPU when it's not under load to save power. It should also drop the core voltage down to between 1 and 1.1 volts when it slows down. Coretemp doesn't read the C2D speeds correctly when they underclock - trust CPU-Z on this one.

I guess you used the Intel fan. My OC'd E6700 idles at 28C, but it's got a nice big Thermalright cooling it. Speedfan, coretemp, and BIOS all agree on my PC using the DS3 so I don't know which to trust in your case. But 52 C is way too high for idle. If that's accurate then something's wrong.

Notice how your speedfan screenshot shows all the voltages being hosed up as well as the 675000 RPM fan. Not sure how much I'd trust it...