Tightened the heatsink too much on am4 motherboard??

Dev_4

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hello guys,

I just installed my ryzen 5 1500x with it's heatsink on my asus prime b350m-a motherboard, but I'm worried that I tightened the heatsink too much. Also the pre-applied cooling paste on the heatsink came out slightly from the edges. Now I'm worried that I broke my CPU or something else while doing that. Does anyone have an answer for that? Furthermore, I read something about a safety stop for the heatsinks on AM4 motherboards a while ago. Could someone also explain that to me please? I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find anything yet.

p.s. My graphics card delivery has been delayed. Until now I am not yet able to test my build.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Back to the original question, yes they do have a safety stop...

your motherboard has display port right? why dont you use that to test.
and if you think you overtightened it you can lose it a little

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Back to the original question, yes they do have a safety stop to stop you screwing it down too far, im not saying take the heatsink off to have a look, but the back plate has built in standoff's that stick up out of the holes in the motherboard, and the screws themselves on the heatsink have a small cap on them, just above the threads, thats the safety stop, when that cap above the threads reaches the standoff's of the backplate, it cant go any further, I would screw it down myself until its stops and doesnt go any further, so im sure you will be ok, just wipe away any excess thermal paste.

Ive taken some picts of mine so you can see what I mean as im not using it, just uploading them now.

2monmg2.jpg

2nqcm4m.jpg

30k8w93.jpg

Solution

Dev_4

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

According to your explanation, I can assume that everything is fine, right? Not that my cpu is going to die due to the pressure on it. To be sure, I bought cooling paste a moment ago in case when I start my build for the first time, that there won't be enough on the cpu. Thank you by the way for your effort (for even taking a picture!!).

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Yes everything will be fine, impossible to over tighten them, you wont need anymore thermal paste, if its pushing out of the sides, (which you can see in my pictures it previously did to when I used it for some tests, see pict of the heatsink), then there is already too much on there.

TRENDING THREADS