Tim Cook Refused to Sue Samsung, Overruled by Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Assuming this story is true (and there is really no way to confirm that it is), I would have to say that I have slightly more respect for Apple now.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The lawsuit was a PR victory for Samsung as Apple basically told the world that they welt the Samsung phones are serious competition; i.e. as good -if not better- than an iPhone.

Seeing what this tech companies budget in PR funds that Billion may have been well worth it; and prob. has not even been paid yet anyway.

Even if this is true, Cook had enough time to drop this BS. He didn't, so he's as much to blame as his predecessor.
[citation][nom]victorolivia[/nom]spam taken out[/citation]
Zak's articles are the most spammed. I guess no filter for spam is OK in his opinion.

Apple: "Hello, Samsung? We need parts for our iPhones."
Samsung: "OK, that'll be $7 billion please."
Apple: "By the way, we're suing you for a billion dollars."
Samsung: (pause) ... "But you still want the parts?"
Apple: "Yes."
Samsung: "OK, that'll be $8 billion please."

The author doesn't filter spam. Maybe Zak has the most popular articles, so they are the most efficient place to go spamming?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Since Samsung had so much insight into what went into an Apple product at the time, Samsung entering the smartphone business was a mistake they took. Actually, I doubt Apple would have sued them if their phones did not look like an Apple product to begin with.This reminds me about Hyundai's entry into the entry-level luxury market with their first Almati, it was then during the German auto show a Mercedes's rep commented thinking that Mercedes completed their showing of new cars only to be shocked that Hyundai copied their iconic front-end design for their own car. It seems that Asians have an issue creating a unique product to wow the world, only know how to copy an existing product....[/citation]
So you use two examples within a single time period to exemplify an entire race of people. The way technology works is it evolves horizontally as well as vertically. Innovation and iteration. So.. since China built the first cannon dating back more then a hundred years before Europe, does that mean any device that uses gun powder to shoot projectiles are copies? No it doesn't. Because cannons built in Europe were more efficient, accurate, and powerful. They took an idea and functionality of something that already existed and made it better. That is called iterating.

Samsung already stated in an interview that they let the market drive them unlike Apple's philosophy of they drive the market because consumers don't know what they want. So when the smartphone market was established, Samsung took an existing product and added things that Apple didn't offer. Like SD card slots, removable batteries, Android OS, bigger screens, etc. Of course back in 2010 when Galaxy S first launched, it wasn't as popular. The reason for it was the masses didn't really understand what a Smartphone was capable of so they wanted something easy that just made calls, texts, etc. As the market matures, so does the consumers of the market. They started looking for more features which is why the S2 and S3 became more popular.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
One does not simply screw with Mr. Jobs.

One of the previous suppliers back in Apple's early years was bold enough to tell him that they will delay shipments whenever they like because there was nothing in the contract prohibiting it.

He immediately broke the contract and ate a lawsuit from the supplier to set an example of his intolerance of BS towards him.

kshong

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Since Samsung had so much insight into what went into an Apple product at the time, Samsung entering the smartphone business was a mistake they took. Actually, I doubt Apple would have sued them if their phones did not look like an Apple product to begin with.This reminds me about Hyundai's entry into the entry-level luxury market with their first Almati, it was then during the German auto show a Mercedes's rep commented thinking that Mercedes completed their showing of new cars only to be shocked that Hyundai copied their iconic front-end design for their own car. It seems that Asians have an issue creating a unique product to wow the world, only know how to copy an existing product....[/citation]

You are one ignorant person.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Showing some racist tendencies there.

Before espousing over what Asians are copying as you seem to be asserting let's not forget where a lot of current arts, culture, food, and technology came from. Many of the things you are enjoying today and taking for granted were invented or originally developed in the East before patent laws ever existed.

Getting back to this century, what phones did Apple have before the Iphone? Samsung was already in the business of creating cellphones and it's a natural evolution into developing smartphones.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Tim Cook is said to have refused to sue the firm's chief competitor, Samsung, but he was overruled by the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.........sadly now is too late to fix bad Apple's image.

G

So....Samsung did to Apple what Apple did to Xerox and MS did to Apple...Lawls!

G

Apple has sued almost every single Android phone makers. The "thermonuclear war" is not targeted at Samsung alone. Apple essentially wanted Samsung to stop making Android phone as Steve Job thought Android is a "stolen product". But Apple is too gutless to sue Google itself, knowing that they have failed to sue Microsoft in the past. So they picked on other companies. As for the basis of the patents, they are silly to the extreme. And it is indeed an eye opener to see what can be patented today.

Also, while Steve Job is a great person who has brings a few great devices to the market, he is also at the same time shackled Apple and limited what it can or cannot do. Steve Job has claimed that a stylus on a tablet is a failure, and 7" tablets are useless. This essentially prevented Apple from selling a iPad with digitizer, and caused Apple to create the smaller iPad way later compared to the competition, despite there are obviously a market for both of these. This essentially give their competitors a good headstart in these market segments.

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]The author doesn't filter spam. Maybe Zak has the most popular articles, so they are the most efficient place to go spamming?[/citation]
That's the issue; there is no spam filter in place. There are a few websites that keep appearing in these spam messages, even if there are multiple usernames involved. Filtering out the posts that contain these few web addresses should be easy for a tech site. Each time a new address pops up and gets reported by us (believe me, they do get reported), they can just ad it to the blacklist.
There is no excuse for the absence of such a filter. It has been suggested multiple times in the past.
Finally, popularity of an article is no excuse for the lack of filtering.

whoa, racist comment. Do not generalize based on a single person (or group, whatever) actions.
Do we hate Americans because of apple? then why the comment about Asians?
each and every race have bad apples among them.

back to topic, so now that Jobs is gone, what, no balls mr Cook? do something, step up

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
"Apple expected Samsung to modify it's design after the Galaxy S"..... they did, they made the S2 which is bigger and better. They continue to make their phones bigger and better. While Apple...... not so much. I can see the majority of phones being 4.8 to 6 inches within a year. I am shocked at how comfortable the Note 2 feels.

Why doesn't Apple sue Google. Jobs had a problem with Android more so than Samsung. Steve was just pissed that Samsung made better products. Samsung spends a lot on advertising and gets plenty of it for free from Apple. Samsung should at least say thanks to Apple. Best billion ever spent..... but not paid.... probably never be paid...... Samsung could just raise the prices of the parts and there's your billion.
Fruitless really.

[citation][nom]derekullo[/nom]Apple pays Samsung to make parts for iPhone.
Apple patents smart phones.
Samsung makes smart phone for itself.
Apple sues Samsung for trying to cut into business.[/citation]
#3 on your list actually belongs in the #1 position. Smartphones existed long before the iPhone, and Samsung was one of those early smartphone manufacturers. If anything, Apple leveraged Samsung's expertise and experience in making smartphone components by using them as a supplier for the iPhone.

Go ahead, browse the PDA/smartphone history before 2007. (And likely anything released in early 2007 was designed pre-iPhone despite being after the iPhone's public announce date.)
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdahistory

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Cook didn't want to sue Samsung but after they won, he asked to triple the amount awarded to Apple. He sounds like a very sincere man!

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Sounds eerily reminiscent of the Microsoft - IBM saga of the late 80 and early 90s regarding Windows NT and OS/2. That ultimately led IBM to exit the PC sector, first in OS development and later in PC hardware as well.

G

A lot of you really miss the point. Apple takes products that nobody likes and makes it likeable. That in itself is innovating. Samsung is merely a responder and they admitted it. When you let the market drive your products, you are not an innovator, you are a responder. When you create products the market never knew they wanted, you are an innovator. So please stop it with the idiotic negativity against Apple. Apple's platform is consistent. Google's is not. I really tried to avoid the apple platform until I saw how fragmented the google platform was. It's just awful. Extra space is not a substitute for a lazily designed platform that renders my apps obsolete when I update my phone or tablet. Apple deserves respect for making smart phones and tablets popular. Samsung surely didn't do that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.