Discussion Tim Cook ....Replacing Steve Jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Who is Tim Cook?

iMAC.jpg

Tim Cook, the man named to replace Steve Jobs as Apple chief executive, already has extensive experience running the company.

Cook, who has served as Apple's chief operating officer for seven years, was named as its new chief executive today with the resignation of Jobs, the iconic co-founder of the company. A reserved and private man, it was Cook who was tapped to fill in for Jobs during his three medical leaves of absence.

"The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," Art Levinson, chairman of Genentech, said in a statement on behalf of Apple's Board.

Long considered a front-runner to replace Jobs, Cook joined Apple in 1998 as a senior vice president of worldwide operations and was promoted to chief operating officer in 2004. Before joining Apple, Cook was an executive at Compaq and spent 12 years at IBM, where he ran manufacturing and operations for the company's PC business.

Cook is credited with completely restructured Apple's manufacturing operations, insisting that Apple shut down its overseas factories and farm out the work to third-party manufacturers. As a result, the company reduced inventory and improved margins on its entire product lineup.

Cook's profile has grown steadily in the last few years. He has served as Jobs' right-hand man at shareholder events and has completely handled earnings calls with analysts for last few years. Recently he has played a more prominent role at product launches.

While Jobs was on medical leave from January to June 2009, Apple delivered two back-to-back blow-out quarters, as well as an updated iPhone OS, and new iPhone 3GS hardware. Under Cook, Apple also put the finishing touches on the company's new iPods, MacBooks, and Mac OS, which were released shortly after Jobs' return to the helm in late June.

For his performance, Apple's board rewarded Cook with a $5 million bonus as well as 75,000 restricted stock units as a thank-you for "his outstanding performance."

cnet.com

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
This man I am sure will make Apple more profitable eventually and more new products will come out with new leadership at the helm.

halcyon

Splendid

We hope. If Steve Jobs actually did stifle internal Apple talent perhaps Tim Cook will unchain that talent. Only time will tell.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Go to the site Apple Insider and see what Jobs really looks like 2 days ago. It is pathetic and hurtful to view these photos. marv

halcyon

Splendid

I didn't find the photos in my quick peek but I can imagine. :??:

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You know, I may hate Apple, but seeing that disease eating at him... I'm not sure I'd ever wish for that to happen to anyone. Unless they piss me off directly, in person... Gotta suck earning a lot of money in your life and not even being able to save your health with it. This IS sad.

halcyon

Splendid

All the money in the world isn't more valuable than health. Whenever he passes on maybe he'll have done something charitable for those in need with his wealth.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
He has children and a wife to leave the money to.Health is everything in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.