Tim Cook Voted Best CEO, Beats Jobs in Approval Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Tim Cook is the harbinger of a new era for Apple. Let's hope they continue to move technology forward, but put a stop to their little patent troll legal department. For those who think Apple is a closed source patent troll, check out http://opensource.apple.com . Apple has more FOSS than most software companies.

Being a CEO isn't a popularity contest; a Titan vs Mr. Nice Guy. It's about profit, obliteration of competition, and increasing your companies market share. Since I own stock I want a Titan.

Jobs & Gates were Titans during their reign.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Tim Cook is the harbinger of a new era for Apple. Let's hope they continue to move technology forward, but put a stop to their little patent troll legal department. For those who think Apple is a closed source patent troll, check out http://opensource.apple.com . Apple has more FOSS than most software companies.[/citation]
WOW, so apple made python, SQLite, ruby...

those are only projects which come with OSX, not programs made by apple, the only opensource project apple made was webkit, which was forked from another opensource project -KHTML-

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Beating Jobs isn't exactly a sterling benchmark since the vast majority of people who ever worked for him thought he was a a-hole of epic proportions. There are stories of employees who were afraid of being in an elevator with Jobs because, in past situations when he was in a bad mood, it wasn't uncommon for people to find themselves unemployed by the time the elevator reach its destination.

Jobs wasn't a titan... he was a tyrant.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Tim cook has been CEO for a few months how can he already be at the top? Not to say he won't do good things, but give him time.

G

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Being a CEO isn't a popularity contest; a Titan vs Mr. Nice Guy. It's about profit, obliteration of competition, and increasing your companies market share. Since I own stock I want a Titan.Jobs & Gates were Titans during their reign.[/citation]

That's what it has been up to this point, but it seems that the old ways are changing. There is more camaraderie amongst CEO and those down the chain. Let's hope that it keeps going this way because the company will benefit more if everybody in it is being looked out for and compensated.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm a bit of an Apple hater, but Tim Cook is a huge improvement over Jobs. He has actually started talking to competitors to resolve disputes.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]WOW, so apple made python, SQLite, ruby...those are only projects which come with OSX, not programs made by apple, the only opensource project apple made was webkit, which was forked from another opensource project -KHTML-[/citation]

Nobody said Apple did anything like that except you. I don't know how people understood it, but I meant OS X's kernel and drivers are open source (unlike Windows). Apple is also the main force behind LLVM and its adoption so don't forget about that.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
For those talking about how Jobs was a notorious asshole (and he was), that's not what this is about. It's about how much employees agree with how the CEO is running the company, not how much they like working with them or hanging out.

Steve Jobs did amazing things for Apple, which is why he had such a high approval rating. He turned the company around from being the laughing stock of the tech world to one of the most profitable companies in history. That's going to earn you strong marks in "Am I good at running this company."

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Tim Cook is the harbinger of a new era for Apple. Let's hope they continue to move technology forward, but put a stop to their little patent troll legal department. For those who think Apple is a closed source patent troll, check out http://opensource.apple.com . Apple has more FOSS than most software companies.[/citation]
You do know that tons of stuff listed there the code doesn't even belong to Apple. And because of that Apple is forced to provide all changes it made to the code. Also Microsoft also has a huge list of FOSS, does this mean it's not a mostly closed source company?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]You do know that tons of stuff listed there the code doesn't even belong to Apple. And because of that Apple is forced to provide all changes it made to the code. Also Microsoft also has a huge list of FOSS, does this mean it's not a mostly closed source company?[/citation]

Seems I open up quite the can of worms... I'm not comparing Apple to the likes of GNU or anything to that effect. The real idea I was trying to put forward was the huge disconnect between the developers and the lawyers. The lawyers are suing for patents while the developers are handing out code to anyone who wants it.

Finally in reply,
I am aware as I posted above. I am also aware that they are required to post changes to software licensed in certain ways (GPL), but there is also plenty of software up there that has no requirement to be open source such as their own in-house drivers.

Microsoft also does support some open source (Hyper-V in Linux for example). The WDK has plenty of driver examples, but none are actually legal to use in another open source project (not copyleft).

I guess I'm sort of skewed being a low level OS developer, I see fully open source drivers and I don't care much about the layers above. In this way, Apple does best Microsoft. Apple has open source Darwin, Microsoft has no open source NT kernel.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I couldn't articulate why exactly I hate Apple and their products until I read Steve Jobs' biography by Walter Isaacson. It's the whole design philosophy underlying their entire product line that I find offensive - the walled garden, end-to-end approach with tight control over everything they can have control over. Sure, it can provide a better user experience (as it did in case of many Apple products), but it's exactly the wrong approach with people like me.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Seems I open up quite the can of worms... I'm not comparing Apple to the likes of GNU or anything to that effect. The real idea I was trying to put forward was the huge disconnect between the developers and the lawyers. The lawyers are suing for patents while the developers are handing out code to anyone who wants it.Finally in reply,I am aware as I posted above. I am also aware that they are required to post changes to software licensed in certain ways (GPL), but there is also plenty of software up there that has no requirement to be open source such as their own in-house drivers.Microsoft also does support some open source (Hyper-V in Linux for example). The WDK has plenty of driver examples, but none are actually legal to use in another open source project (not copyleft).I guess I'm sort of skewed being a low level OS developer, I see fully open source drivers and I don't care much about the layers above. In this way, Apple does best Microsoft. Apple has open source Darwin, Microsoft has no open source NT kernel.[/citation]
But then again the NT kernel isn't based of the Mach kernel and FreeBSD. Apple is a large cooperation like Microsoft and others. They only release the source code of projects that they are forced to release it and projects that it's in their best interest to be open sourced. All the rest is closed source.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
from 1985-2000 apple was a company with a stock price of around 10 bucks a share. Then jobs sees the new mp3 players from creative and rio and redesigns them into the ipod. Everyone likes the design, the capacity, and operation. And even though it costs much more than the other guys its more popular. Then jobs sees the cell phone market in 06 or 07 and decides hes going to reinvent the cellphone. He took the concept of the PDA with a touch screen display and added it to a blackberry level smart phone. Due to the previous popularity of the ipod the iphone quickly shoots to the top of the sales charts (taking their stock price with it). Then theres the stretched out ipod touch that is the ipad which broke apple into the tablet market, and as the front runner in 3 markets. That's the good news.

The downside is with every breakout design you have imitators and occasionally (android) those imitators end up being superior. Plus with Jobs' strict adherence to the policy of "apple should make all its own software" for so long he really painted the company into a corner. It was only after they released a portable device that didnt need any outside software to be useful (the ipod), and they could control every aspect of and no one worried about it, that they started becoming popular. With the death of their visionary megalomaniac leader, apple's future might seem bright for now but soon other companies will innovate their products past the capacity of apple to change the game and apple will go back to being a 10 dollar a share stock.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Let's just hope Cook will end the "thermonuclear war" on Android. It's not a stolen product. As shin0bi272 points out, it is an imitator but that's why the US patent system is broken. Imitators often take the product to heights it would have never reached. Most people forget that Mac OS predates Windows, but now I'd say that Windows is the superior OS of the two (I'm not counting Linux here). Android was created after the iPhone came out and it has come to a point where I would gladly toss out my iPhone for a new ICS Galaxy Nexus.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Let's just hope Cook will end the "thermonuclear war" on Android. It's not a stolen product. As shin0bi272 points out, it is an imitator but that's why the US patent system is broken. Imitators often take the product to heights it would have never reached. Most people forget that Mac OS predates Windows, but now I'd say that Windows is the superior OS of the two (I'm not counting Linux here). Android was created after the iPhone came out and it has come to a point where I would gladly toss out my iPhone for a new ICS Galaxy Nexus.[/citation]
Most people seem to forget that the Xerox Pilot predated both the Mac OS and Windows. Smartphone OSes predates both Android and iOS. The beginning of the modern mobile OS begins perhaps begins with Symbian even though the first smartphone was from IBM in the 90's.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Most people seem to forget that the Xerox Pilot predated both the Mac OS and Windows. Smartphone OSes predates both Android and iOS. The beginning of the modern mobile OS begins perhaps begins with Symbian even though the first smartphone was from IBM in the 90's.[/citation]

Precisely. This is exactly why I say that imitators bring the product to new heights. These products are simply part of an evolution in technology. Whether it's from Microsoft, Apple, Sony, Red Hat, IBM, or any other company, as long as it moves the tech industry forward, I'm all for it.

starchie

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Tim Cook is the harbinger of a new era for Apple...[/citation]
cant help it, but did he "assume direct control" when his apple employees answered the survey?

Status
Not open for further replies.