Tim Cook Writes to Staff on Anniversary of Steve Jobs' Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care that Steve jobs was a innovator or not. He had a lot of spectacular qualities that not a lot of people have.

Really, the way he marketed things was spectacular and no one can deny that he was a pro at selling things and marketing. It took Apple to extreme heights and his strategy made the company so damn bloody rich and also pissed a lot of other companies off.

Also, he took Apple to great heights, seriously, Apple would never be the same without him today. He really had a vision and he knew what people want and he was good at what he should do. He demanded quality, he demanded awesomeness, he did everything that it takes to make a great product.

I am in no way an Apple fan, I am more of a guy who loves open stuff, like AMD, Linux, Android, etc, and I have never ever owned an Apple device, but still I like to see his keynote announcements with all the popcorn and coke in free time.

This guy was a genius and we cannot deny it at all. A nice guy I would say. A crazy, funny and Intelligent dude that we will never see again.

Steve jobs, I seriously will miss those Keynote announcements. Seriously, keynotes would never be the same after your death. You were crazy awesome dude! We will miss ya!

I don't know what you guys say, but he is and he will remain a legend.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I respect what Steve Jobs did with/for the Apple company in terms of making it successful.

However, as a human being, he was truly an awful person, and was a spoiled brat that never grew up, never learned how people should be treated, and never seemed to think about how he affected people; only cared about what he wanted, and what he wanted others to think.

William Watson

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
"Steve was an amazing human being and left the world a better place."

He sure did leave the world a better place. By leaving it...

Between the plethora of problems the first iPhone had (and he masked quite ingenuously by using multiple devices, because they were freezing all the time) and the plethora of problems subsequent devices had (not to mention the latest catalog of blunders that is iP5s/iOS), he was great at making other people buy flawed devices. Hats off to that "achievement"...
By promoting a closed ecosystem he did tech world a great disservice, worsened by the stupid lawsuits that followed.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Iphone 4 antenna problem: Steve's answer - "You're holding it wrong." Steve's solution - Reluctantly conceding to giving away 3.5 cents worth of rubber bumper (retail ~$30). I guess you can say he was always looking out for the stock holders.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"teh_chem" that's why Steve is so successful! He is remembered by millions around the world, mostly for the good. Sorry to ask, what about yourself and the rest of the anti apple or anti steve jobs bunch? Posting pathetic comments here. By no means I am very successful, but at least I look at the good side of an influential human being and try to learn from him/her, not whining....

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Apple is a relic from a bygone era where everyone bought pre-built pcs and Jobs way of saving the company was to make them a gadget company. They kept the idea of "its the apple way or the highway" approach and what baffles the crap out of me is how a joke of a pc company can become a giant in the gadget industry. I guess people are more willing to accept the shortcomings of the GUI of a handheld device than they are of a computer or console (apple pip-pin anyone? no? google it).

^...* runs back to Jobs' statue in the living room and falls into prostration...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Greatness is not being remembered by millions. I normally wouldn't bother wasting my words responding to you, but after educating myself on his life, I can honestly say that over the course of one day in my life, I'm a better person than he was his entire life. I don't give a damn how many billions of dollars he made for Apple--in fact, I acknowledged and even said I respected that goal for what he did. Still doesn't make someone a good person, and THAT is my issue with him. I couldn't care less how many billions of dollars someone makes, and I couldn't care less if I am not remembered by millions of people.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

You must have not ever read his biography... To sum it up, his peers thought of him as an "a$$hole".

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Do spoiled brats donate millions secretly to charity, without even his biographer knowing about it?

I don't care who you are, or what douchbag you are, if you help out other people in the world in any sort of way, then you have a good heart.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Just like making billions of dollars for a company, donating millions of dollars does not make you a good person either.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This thread looks like a fun shouting match.

We each measure people in our own ways. For me, that measure isn't so much based on how a person affected my own life as it is on how a person affects the lives of our descendants. To do that, I look at what Jobs did (basically made Apple what it was at the time that he died), and from that what Apple does.

On one side, Apple made devices that the average consumer can use without getting lost in technology. That's good, and it needed to happen. I give credit to Apple's chief designers for the designs, and to Jobs for creating a company in which they could succeed with those designs. Don't underestimate the difficulty of creating a company in the hardware industry that spends more on design than it needs to - especially at a time when most other hardware companies were trying to cut costs in an almost commodity industry.

On the other side, how Jobs accomplished things left an awful lot to be desired. Being a sh!t to individuals is one thing, but pinching pennies on suppliers to the point that people die - or try to - that's another thing entirely. That doesn't make Steve Jobs a better person, or the world a better place. It's just wrong. And then there's the impact on the environment, the anti-competitive lawsuits, and the general emergence of Apple as an entity that is interested in its own profits at the expense of peoples' well-being. And those people include individuals, assembly teams, consumers of competing products and would-be competing products, and in the end, inhabitants of the planet.

So there's an awful lot of bad for that good to contend with before I would be willing to say that Steve Jobs had a net-positive impact on our posterity.

Well.. at least I expressed my opinions on him. Anyways I respect your opinions on him too...

He was quite controversial everytime, and yeah he might be a bad person, but he knew how to make money and how to do it successfully.

He knew how to bring up the company and he delivered it.

No one said that CEO needs to be a good person too as long as he is doing good for the company.

I still like Steve Jobs. My opinion just won't change anytime soon. Maybe never..

While I think respecting the co-founder and ideological guide of the company is important, Apple will have to eventually move on someday past this. Let Steve rest in peace, and strive to build an Apple that he would be proud to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.