Time for a better cooler?

ATCS840

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I have an i5-760 that's not overclocked. Intel says the max safe sustainable temp is 72.7. I have at least 2 programs that I run at least once a month that will push the temp up to 74 for several minutes at a time. I'm using the stock Intel cooler. Am I safe running it this way or should I get a better cooler?

^you dont need to spend that much, the coolermaster hyper tx3 or hyper 212+ are both significantly better than the stock intel cooler and will do the job. Having said that, he might jsut need some exhaust fans in the case to remove the hot air and lower the ambient temp......

ATCS840

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
itzdanielp – I’m curious as to what you meant by “But you can bring the performance of your computer up a couple notches with a simple HSF.” Were you just referring to the cooling performance?

I’m sure it’s plenty cool inside the case. It’s a huge case with 8 case fans, and the MB temp never gets above 31. Just to be on the safe side I’ll stick a thermometer in there and check it.

jbart1981

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
+1 for the Hyper212+ or the new Hyper212 Evo Run about $30 and if you put dual sycle flow 120mm coolermaster or similar fans to do a push-pull you will get great bang for the buck cooling without having to figure out a way to work around one of the ginormous coolers out there.

ATCS840

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
The highest case temp I've seen now has been 34C. Usually hovers around 31-32. Ambient temp is usually on the warmish side because this is a small room and there's usually 2 computers running.

The N520 is certainly a nice unit but I'll probably go with something along the lines of the Hyper212 and TX3 as I'd like to stick with something that utilizes the PWM.

Thanks for all the inputs.