Question Time for a (cheap) upgrade

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Hello, after 5 years I'm still using the good old war machine that I've built when I was 12 ( still really proud of this ). It has a
Ryzen 1200
GigaByte Rx460
Asrock a320m-HDV
8Gigs of crucial 2133
Wd purple ( I thought it would be faster because it was made mostly for servers )
Aqprox 500 PowerSupply ( needed something cheap )

It has served me good all these years but right now it's so laggy. The HDD is a lot of times at 100percent use, same with CPU when gaming and when using chrome or Spotify. The startup is laggy and when I get on my desktop pressing right-click makes the pc lagg hard, same when gaming, and I need to hit the windows key.
I'm looking for an upgrade that's really cheap, probably an SSD for 60euros ( 500GB is enough for me ). If the problem is on the CPU I'm getting a used ryzen 5 but it will be more expensive and I'm broke. The games I play are f1 2019, Assetto Corsa, league of legends ( a potato can run this game ).

Help me spend my money strangers on the internet!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Is the 100percent cpu use and stuttering caused by the hdd? Probably getting the evo 860 500gb this week.
Stuttering, maybe. 100% CPU Utilization, unlikely. I'm guessing limited RAM is a contributing factor as well, but if you're not running multiple programs simultaneously, RAM should be enough (I'd still upgrade to at least 16GB when you can).

-Wolf sends

What is your budget?
How cheap is cheap?

A ssd is a great start.

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
If you want better, you need to find out which.
To get a better idea, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Stuttering, maybe. 100% CPU Utilization, unlikely. I'm guessing limited RAM is a contributing factor as well, but if you're not running multiple programs simultaneously, RAM should be enough (I'd still upgrade to at least 16GB when you can).

-Wolf sends
Well I've got a problem with ram, I have the crucial 4gb 2133Mhz but that's 38 euros for some reason but I can get crucial 2400Mhz for 18 euros instead but I'm afraid that it will not be reliable. I tried running formula and I did have some stuttering . The suspects are ram and hdd. I could get a ssd evo 500gb and another 4gb of ram but I'm afraid of the compatibility issues. Do you have any idea if the ram would work?

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
What is your budget?
How cheap is cheap?

A ssd is a great start.

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
If you want better, you need to find out which.
To get a better idea, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Budget is something around 80 euros ( I'm a cheap bastard )
I'm too broke to think about cpu or gpu right now because nothing used is at a good price where I live. Im getting the ssd now but ram is also an issue, something like 97percent use of ram when running f1 . I have the crucial 4gb 2133Mhz x2 and I'm wondering if I get another crucial 4gb but at 2400 mhz will that work? there's a 20 euro difference and I'm tight on money,

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Ryzen 1200 isn't even 4 years old.

Get a SSD and replace that garbage psu.
I used to have an Athlon CPU and then upgraded to ryzen, and still, I cant really remember correctly.
I found Gigabyte NVMe SSD 512GB M.2 for a good price, my mobo can run m.2 ssd's so lucky me.
Im gonna take the risk of keeping my good potato psu because I'm broke and I like to live dangerously

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS