[SOLVED] Time for a (cheap) upgrade

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Hello, after 5 years I'm still using the good old war machine that I've built when I was 12 ( still really proud of this ). It has a
Ryzen 1200
GigaByte Rx460
Asrock a320m-HDV
8Gigs of crucial 2133
Wd purple ( I thought it would be faster because it was made mostly for servers )
Aqprox 500 PowerSupply ( needed something cheap )

It has served me good all these years but right now it's so laggy. The HDD is a lot of times at 100percent use, same with CPU when gaming and when using chrome or Spotify. The startup is laggy and when I get on my desktop pressing right-click makes the pc lagg hard, same when gaming, and I need to hit the windows key.
I'm looking for an upgrade that's really cheap, probably an SSD for 60euros ( 500GB is enough for me ). If the problem is on the CPU I'm getting a used ryzen 5 but it will be more expensive and I'm broke. The games I play are f1 2019, Assetto Corsa, league of legends ( a potato can run this game ).

Help me spend my money strangers on the internet!

What is your budget?
How cheap is cheap?

A ssd is a great start.

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
If you want better, you need to find out which.
To get a better idea, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Stuttering, maybe. 100% CPU Utilization, unlikely. I'm guessing limited RAM is a contributing factor as well, but if you're not running multiple programs simultaneously, RAM should be enough (I'd still upgrade to at least 16GB when you can).

-Wolf sends

Well I've got a problem with ram, I have the crucial 4gb 2133Mhz but that's 38 euros for some reason but I can get crucial 2400Mhz for 18 euros instead but I'm afraid that it will not be reliable. I tried running formula and I did have some stuttering . The suspects are ram and hdd. I could get a ssd evo 500gb and another 4gb of ram but I'm afraid of the compatibility issues. Do you have any idea if the ram would work?

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
What is your budget?
How cheap is cheap?

A ssd is a great start.

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
If you want better, you need to find out which.
To get a better idea, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Budget is something around 80 euros ( I'm a cheap bastard )
I'm too broke to think about cpu or gpu right now because nothing used is at a good price where I live. Im getting the ssd now but ram is also an issue, something like 97percent use of ram when running f1 . I have the crucial 4gb 2133Mhz x2 and I'm wondering if I get another crucial 4gb but at 2400 mhz will that work? there's a 20 euro difference and I'm tight on money,

0_Swoozie_0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Ryzen 1200 isn't even 4 years old.

Get a SSD and replace that garbage psu.
I used to have an Athlon CPU and then upgraded to ryzen, and still, I cant really remember correctly.
I found Gigabyte NVMe SSD 512GB M.2 for a good price, my mobo can run m.2 ssd's so lucky me.
Im gonna take the risk of keeping my good potato psu because I'm broke and I like to live dangerously

TRENDING THREADS