[SOLVED] Time for a new monitor

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new gaming monitor as my current ASUS was purchased back in 2011, ten years ago!!! (That's scary......)
Current monitor is:
Asus 24-inch VH242H Wide Gaming LCD TFT Monitor (5ms, Full HD, HDMI, Black)

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin - UK

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) Gaming/surfing web/occasional work stuff - typing.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? 1920 x 1080

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) - Not too sure - whatever is best for gaming. :)

5. How much are you looking to spend? Maximum £250 but that's a real push. Would prefer £150 - £200 mark.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) - Not too fussed; the best I can get for my budget.

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) N/A

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? No

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). HDMI

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary Display

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No.

Ideally, I would like the next size up from 24in, but that's not essential and would prefer to pay less if it meant sticking with a better quality 24in screen. The more adjustable the better - swivel not too much of an issue as I have a turntable, but height and tilt adjustable would be preferable. Speakers are a non issue as I recently bought a Creative Stage 2.1 soundbar/sub woofer which I'm very happy with! A thin bezel would be good as well.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Solution
Thank you for your reply. Are there any disadvantages with curved screens I need to be aware of?
"The biggest reason curved displays are popular is that they fill up more of your peripheral vision, which allows you to focus on your work instead of being distracted by what’s happening around you. If you’re watching or playing a game, this engrossing experience can be hard to beat. The downside to this style of monitor is that its curved display can catch light from more angles. "

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for clearing that up.

One thing I read in the review that's slightly concerning:

One of the main drawbacks of most VA panels is the slow response time speed, which causes ghosting of fast-moving objects. However, this is only really noticeable in darker scenes where dark pixels are predominant in the picture.

For casual gaming, this issue is entirely negligible, but if you’re a hardcore FPS gamer, the amount of smearing may be too distracting, and you should look for an IPS or TN panel display instead.

To remove some of that ghosting, the AOC C24G1 is equipped with the 1ms MPRT technology, which via backlight strobing, further reduces the perceived trailing behind fast-moving objects.

Alas, this Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) feature cannot be active at the same time as FreeSync, and it decreases the monitor’s maximum brightness while active.

Firstly, my monitor is situated close to a window, will that cause any issues?

Secondly, the ghosting doesn't bother me in Doom 2016 on my current monitor, which is 5ms so I'm presuming this will be a significant upgrade? Work wise, it'll just be word processing and the occasional spreadsheet - nothing involving graphics or design. My jobs aren't generally that interesting...

Taking into account my specs, could a larger screen at a higher resolution work OK on my system, or would it be likely I would have to reduce some settings to get things to run as they do now?

Just read this at Amazon:

And now I'll come to one bad point, which for me, was a deal breaker and the only reason why I'll be returning it.

Best would be if you have watched video that I uploaded.
Two monitors are connected and displaying same content.
On left side is the VA panel I'm reviewing, on right IPS monitor.
Notice how stars disappears during camera movement.

Almost all "dark" games I have played on it had same issues with smearing blacks.
On Witcher 3, during night, shadows on trees were kind of flickering. It wasn't that obvious like on uploaded video, but it was noticeable. Mountains on Skyrim were losing a lot of details while movement.

Overall black colour on any brighter background had that issue, which for gaming monitor is unacceptable for me.
I know some VA panels have slower pixel transition than others and looks like that is the case on this one.
Unless I was unlucky and received defective panel :)

Watching the video he uploaded, I can see a significant issue - every time he moves the screen the stars seem to disappear... that's going to be a big problem for me, unless as he said he got a duff unit.

Last edited:
Firstly, my monitor is situated close to a window, will that cause any issues?

Completely no issue if you have thick curtains or blinds. I'm worked near window most of my life - no issues with that except some south side windows tended to be too hot for me during summer in room without air conditioning.

Secondly, the ghosting doesn't bother me in Doom 2016 on my current monitor, which is 5ms so I'm presuming this will be a significant upgrade?

Taking into account my specs, could a larger screen at a higher resolution work OK on my system, or would it be likely I would have to reduce some settings to get things to run as they do now?

If you can't notice ghosting in particular monitor then you are fine.

For GTX 1660 1080p resolution is the best. 1440p may or may not lag in particular game though most most likely you will require to lower some graphical settings. Though Doom 2016 is quite optimized game and was playable on 40-60 FPS even on 1st gen i5@750 CPU with R9 280 GPU at 1280x1024 resolution.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
From staff member at the review site:

Yes, which is why we highly recommend the AOC C24G1 unless you're a hardcore FPS gamer and are willing to sacrifice image quality for as many milliseconds of advantage you can get.

Well, I'm no competitive gamer. I've never been that good in my "prime" and that was a while ago now. Am open to any other suggestions as I like to weigh up different options when going for new hardware, but this looks a solid choice. Bit concerned about the weirdness with the stars in that video on the Amazon review though. Plus I would need to find somewhere who can send it to me in less time than 1-2 months. :)

Am open to any other suggestions as I like to weigh up different options when going for new hardware, but this looks a solid choice.
You can check out this one as an alternative...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Monitor | Philips 276E9QDSB 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor | £174.25 @ More Computers
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £174.25
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-08 12:38 GMT+0000 |

Review...

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Good evening all,

So I've done a little research and it seems that for a little more money I can go for the AOC 24G2U which all YouTube reviews are saying is better than the curved one previously discussed. Naturally, it's out of stock at Amazon. However, there's the AOC 24G2US which is in stock and quite a bit cheaper. But can anyone tell me what's the difference between the two? After all it's a difference of around £50 - £199 Vs £149.

LOL, this is cool little nuance :) AOC does not have 24G2US model. Mentioned 24G2US in reality is 24G2U5 ("5", not "S"). AOC have kinda two the same monitors with teeny tiny difference AOC 24G2U (24G2U/BK) with 144 Hz refresh rate panel. And AOC 24G2U5 (24G2U5/BK) with 75 Hz refresh rate panel. This is why AOC 24G2U (24G2U/BK) cost 50 pounds more. Except panels both monitors are completely identical. Do not mistake them during purchase.

Last edited:

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Aha, so it's a big drop in the refresh rate; explains a lot! I might hold fire then; my ASUS has seen me through the last ten years, it's worth waiting another few months to grab the one everyone seems to be raving about at this price range. Thank you for the heads-up.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Found it... :)

Just need to make sure the base will fit on my desk OK - it's a very small desk with only 22cm space at the back for the monitor's stand.

The MSI looks good but the stand's lack of ergonomics go against it.

Edit: I'm golden - just a touch over 22cm depth. Time to click buy and many thanks for your help and guidance. Stay safe guys.

Last edited:

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Good evening all, so it's arrived and looks very nice. A touch bright, but that's what settings are for. I am however having a problem - before I installed this monitor, I was able to play old games like Sid Meier's Pirates without any issues - high res, widescreen, the lot. Now it won't run at all; I get an "unable to initialise DirectX" error. I haven't changed anything other than the monitor; how can that affect whether old games will work and is there a way around this? I've tried older Windows compatibility, but no joy. Is it because this monitor's 144hz versus whatever my old monitor was?

Also, there's supposed to be some software to download so I can adjust the monitor without using the fiddly buttons under the screen but the disc that came with it is useless - just has a manual but no actual drivers. Almost everything I click on in the CD says it cannot find the file...

Last edited:
DirectX error may happen due to unsupported refresh rate too. You can try to backup game settings (somewhere under your user profile My Documents, Saved Games or AppData\Local directory). Then temporary remove game settings directory and run game again - should start in low resolution which you can tune later.

Also, there's supposed to be some software to download so I can adjust the monitor without using the fiddly buttons under the screen but the disc that came with it is useless - just has a manual but no actual drivers. Almost everything I click on in the CD says it cannot find the file...

You can download a "driver" (seems another self-extracting archive with *.INF file copying into system INF directory) and some Display Kit utility for your monitor support page. From experience I believe that this utility will be a sad excuse of control set available by operating monitor with buttons. But try and look how it works.

Last edited:

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all, this monitor' settings are a pain in the arse to operate; I read that there's a way to download software so you can adjust settings without having to use the unbelievably fiddly buttons under the screen. Right now, the sharpness needs to be lowered and the blacks are more like greys; I haved tried lowering the brightness to no avail. Does anyone have a link to the software? AOC's website is useless, as is the disc that came with the monitor!

On the desktop, everything looks too bright and in game, everything looks washed out. I'm sure the settings can fix all of this, but couldn't they do a better job with them out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS