Build Advice Time for a rebuild/upgrade - advice please

beer_man

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Just looking for some comments on my proposed upgrade path, please. I'll try and keep it short!

I'm looking at these components:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
  • MB: MSI – B450 TOMAHAWK
  • Memory: G.Skill – Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • DVD: LG – GH24NSD1
  • Replacement case fans: 2 x Noctua – NF-A8 PWM 32.66 CFM 80mm; 1 x Noctua – NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120mm
From my current Core2 3600 build from 2006 (that's been upgraded over the years) I would like to reuse:
  • Original Cooler Master Praetorian 732 case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/praetorian-732/
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (installed to support the resolution of a new monitor)
  • Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD
  • AeroCool VP-450, 450W power supply (new about four or five years ago to replace a failed original PS)
I will not be OCing and don't want or need LED anything.

I have three questions about my proposed build, which I will be using mainly as a workstation and hope to not upgrade for a good few years if I buy right now:

1: Case

The current case has 1x120mm front and 2x80mm rear fans, and a side vent.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the case and I'd really like to reuse it.

The fans are original and given their age and to try and make things as quiet as possible I intend to replace them with Noctua fans, as in the parts list.

Does anyone see a problem with reusing the case?

2: Memory

The G.Skill Flare X is more expensive than some other memory and I don't mind spending a bit more for good performance, guaranteed B-die, low latency and something that will work at 3200 with no fuss.

Thoughts on going the Flare X despite the price? (It appears to one of the least-expensive B-die.)

3: Graphics card

This is going to be a workstation for the most part.

I do not really want to buy a new graphic card.

Am I right in saying the existing NVIDIA GeForce 950 GTX will be more than adequate?

And finally, any comments generally.

Many thanks in advance.

Pretty well balanced system I see no big problems, case doesn't have USB3 connectors but with size and number of fans is quite enough for that system as it doesn't run very hot.
Samsung b-die is not a requirement any more but it's possible to OC somewhat although 3200MHz is quite enough.
GT 950 is more of a concern for gaming than for most normal usage. If it was good enough until now, it will still be at least as much usable now.
Same goes for PSU, I don't know what are you upgrading from but most likely this system will draw less power than your old one.

beer_man

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. It's good to know I was on the right track :)

I've also added a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 drive to the mix (250GB or 500GB, in addition to the existing SanDisk 240GB SSD).

TRENDING THREADS