Time for an outcry!

G

Why can't we build/upgrade laptops like desktops?!?! I'm sure there are some sacrifices to be made, in size, performance, etc. But why should we spend half a fortune on something that has a limited useable life. Laptop makers are missing out on a prime market. How many portable owners wouldn't like to upgrade to a faster processer? (within socket/family size of course) But we can't because they solder the CPUs to the mobo, when they could use a socket instead. Sorry for the rant, just frustrated. I wouldn't buy a desktop from Dell/HP/Gateway/etc., why do I have to suffer with an even more expensive laptop from said vendors?! Ahhrrrg!

Sarcasm maybe the recourse of a weak mind,
But it can be funny as hell.

G

I totally agree, I would like to just throw a new mother board into my Toshiba Satelite Pro 435CS. It is a Pentim 133, and boy is it slow. I'm looking now at Asus laptops, they atre actually upgradable (well some of them are.)Also, they are a damn good deal, cuz if Asus makes it, then it's probably got a good motherboard, which means it will outlive its Dell and Compaq brethren long after they are useless. (Asus < $2k)

http://notebooks.asus.com/

G

you say some of the ASUS notebooks are upgradable. check twice!!!
I had an ASUS notebook P6300 (Pentium 233 on MMC1, 2.5MB SiliconMotion Graphics) that was claimed on the ASUS website and in the manual to be upgradable CPU and graphics-wise. IN THEORY!!! I actually never got hold of the 4MB ATI-graphics card that was supposed to be available for the notebook. and I tried very hard to source one. the PentiumII 300Mhz on a MMC1 board that I bought didn't run and screwed the power control board in the notebook so that I could only use it on mains (the old MMC1 CPU still worked, fortunately) since it didn't reckognize the battery anymore. I'm not saying that the ASUS notebooks are bad, far away from it. just check twice on the promised upgrades and don't count on that too much.

respect!