Time for an upgrade

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hey guys, I built a rig last April, sadly for me I made a few mistakes when selecting the parts, that was due mainly to bad timing and a conservative budget. I like to max out my games at 2k and sadly my rig doesn't manage that anymore, I stopped playing Rise Of The Tomb Raider because the performance bombed in one of the later open world environments (I never thought the performance hit would be that hard but it was). Anyhow the current system I run on is as follows

Intel i7 4790k cpu
Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard
16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CL10 1600Mhz RAM
2x MSI GTX 970 4G
Corsair RM1000 PSU
NZXT Phantom full atx
The CPU cooler is a Noctua air cooler (which I want to get rid of as I would like to water cool)

My question to you guys is this. I would like to upgrade, obviously I don't want to make the same mistakes as last time and then have to upgrade a short space of time later due to picking components unwisely so any recomendations as to what I should upgrade would be appreciated. I was thinking of waiting for the GTX 1080 TI's to drop before I start the upgrade and then buy two of them. (I won't have any money until April 2017 anyway so it's a good chance to get everything planned now).

The gfx cards are pretty much nailed on, that's one thing I have already decided on, if 1080 TI's haven't released by then I would probably go down the Titan X pascal route then eventually upgrading that to SLI when needed..

So, the rest of the system, does it need an upgrade? Bear in mind I want to max out games now and for the forseeable future. Any upgrades are not limited to a budget, including graphics cards I will have around 3000 dollars to throw at this. So any extras you may suggest like watercooling kits, etc would be welcome, Thanks.

Solution
A GTX 1070 or 1080 would let you max out games at 2K. I don't really see a need for the 1080 Ti, or SLI for that matter. The rest of your build looks very good.

mcfcdaniel

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific, the reson I opt for the 1080 TI (when it drops) or a Titan X is to future proof that aspect of the build as much as possible, sure it's expensive but I'd rather this time go for the top of the range hardware rather than 2-3 or even 4 models down the line.

TRENDING THREADS