[SOLVED] Time for New Power Supply?

Solution
Ok, so to start it off, The Power Supply I am using right now is a coolermaster RS-700-PCAA-E3.
I am running a rtx 2060 super and a 7700k with it right now, But I want to know if it will be enough for the rtx 3080. It seems to run smooth with the hardware it's running right now, but I am just wondering if 700 watts is enough.
I see you ignored the advice given to you to replace it when you were buying the RTX 2060.

You already know how old it is and that it's not a good power supply to begin with. Why would you even consider risking a new 3080 with it? Maybe this time you'll listen and replace it. BTW, it's not 700 watts. With 52 amps on the...
Ok, so to start it off, The Power Supply I am using right now is a coolermaster RS-700-PCAA-E3.
I am running a rtx 2060 super and a 7700k with it right now, But I want to know if it will be enough for the rtx 3080. It seems to run smooth with the hardware it's running right now, but I am just wondering if 700 watts is enough.
I see you ignored the advice given to you to replace it when you were buying the RTX 2060.

You already know how old it is and that it's not a good power supply to begin with. Why would you even consider risking a new 3080 with it? Maybe this time you'll listen and replace it. BTW, it's not 700 watts. With 52 amps on the +12volt rail it's more like 600 watts, if it can even deliver that.

Solution
Feb 13, 2020

You already know how old it is and that it's not a good power supply to begin with. Why would you even consider risking a new 3080 with it? Maybe this time you'll listen and replace it. BTW, it's not 700 watts. With 52 amps on the +12volt rail it's more like 600 watts, if it can even deliver that.
Yeah It is very old, I had a feeling I would have to replace it to have enough power to run the 3080, but do you have any good power supply suggestions that are not too expensive?

Feb 13, 2020
Yeah, I'll Probably wait for benchmarks and see how much power it uses before buying because I don't wanna get over 1,000 watts of power supply and find out it only uses half lol

Feb 13, 2020
ah ok. sounds good. What's a preferred power supply brand to buy from? coolermaster seems to be good for me as my psu from them lasted like, 8 years and is still going lmao but I don't know if their new units are as good.

DSzymborski

Titan
The problem isn't the wattage, the problem is the quality. The issue with the PSU isn't that it's "only" 700W, but that it's an ancient, group-regulated 700W PSU made by Seventeam that wasn't ever particularly good. Using this PSU with a new, high-end GPU is an Olympic-sized swimming pool full of bad idea.

Feb 13, 2020
The problem isn't the wattage, the problem is the quality. The issue with the PSU isn't that it's "only" 700W, but that it's an ancient, group-regulated 700W PSU made by Seventeam that wasn't ever particularly good. Using this PSU with a new, high-end GPU is an Olympic-sized swimming pool full of bad idea.
Yeah I thought so lol. It's like, 8 years old now. want to get rid of it anyway because the cables are ugly, and I just don't trust it as much anymore because it's so old. Any psu brand suggestions?

DSzymborski

Titan
ah ok. sounds good. What's a preferred power supply brand to buy from? coolermaster seems to be good for me as my psu from them lasted like, 8 years and is still going lmao but I don't know if their new units are as good.

Cooler Master is not a particularly good brand as they sell a lot of really cheap power supplies, though they've always had a handful of very solid ones on the high end. You don't actually know how yours ran without extensive testing with specialized equipment; you don't evaluate a PSU's performance by seeing if components are alive or dead. It would be like assuming that everyone who eats a pound of bacon for breakfast every day and is not dead has a heart running perfectly well.

We now house an updated PSU tier list here again.

If you're interested in a 3080, then I wouldn't recommend anything below Tier A. If you don't want to invest that much in protection for a GPU, then it doesn't make sense to be as ambitious with your GPU purchase and you might as well wait for whatever 3050-type GPU comes out. I wouldn't even be operating your current GPU with that old, group-regulated PSU.

Feb 13, 2020
Cooler Master is not a particularly good brand as they sell a lot of really cheap power supplies, though they've always had a handful of very solid ones on the high end. You don't actually know how yours ran without extensive testing with specialized equipment; you don't evaluate a PSU's performance by seeing if components are alive or dead. It would be like assuming that everyone who eats a pound of bacon for breakfast every day and is not dead has a heart running perfectly well.

We now house an updated PSU tier list here again.

If you're interested in a 3080, then I wouldn't recommend anything below Tier A. If you don't want to invest that much in protection for a GPU, then it doesn't make sense to be as ambitious with your GPU purchase and you might as well wait for whatever 3050-type GPU comes out. I wouldn't even be operating your current GPU with that old, group-regulated PSU.
Well I decided I'm just going to get a really nice unit. Is the Seasonic prime 1,300w gold a reliable psu? 1,300 watts should last me forever lmao