Status
Not open for further replies.

cos120275

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I replaced the cmos but the messege comes on still.

I can even access bios and my system fan won't turn on to cool.

It boots then the messsege.

I try to access bios but it won't even detect and cd roms hhd. took them out to see if that helped and booted. still the messege. any hints or suggestions.

hope its not a bad motherboard.

Is a laptop dell d610.

Solution
I use the Dell latitude D610 and it happened to me this morning also. Below are what I have done to bring it to work.

+ Remove the power supply
+ Remove the PC battery
+ Remove the CMOS battery

After removing all above items, wait for 10 sec, then install them back.

Start the PC, you will be noticed of PC configuration (F1 to skip or F2 to enter the setup page). You can go either way.

After windows loading, you edit date and time, then you go to Dell.com to download the lastest BIOS and update it.

Hope this helps.

NDTrong

axlekitty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
So, you've replaced the battery. I know this is an obvious one, forgive me, I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but did you put the battery in the right way? Even if the battery is dead, it should still detect your hard drives and cd roms. It just won't save any custom BIOS settings, they will always default. Sounds like the motherboard did infact die, I am sorry to inform.

I'd replug them, check the cables and such and go into the bios settings. Try to change something and save it (the time for instance). If it saves, yahoo! lol if not, I think either the battery replacement is dead too or you are SOL my friend.

Was the fan noisy before this happened? It might have overheated and killed something (processor, etc).

cos120275

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

No it just stopped working. Thanks for the tips. I know your not trying to make me sound dumb. Those are reasonable questions. I can take a computer apart and put it back together with my eyes closed so a lack of knowledge in computers is minimal. I'm just stumped on this one. Sounds like the mother board is crapped. Can't even access the bios. Sucks cause I just bought a new Dell Vostro 2510 and my wifes broke so she is mad. Thanks for you tips. It confirms what I had expected. Maybe I'll just give it up. The battery is one of those batteries that is wrapped in a sheath and plugs into a female port in the laptop so putting in in backwards is impossible. Oh well. thanks again for leaving me a reply.

axlekitty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Will it detect a floppy drive with bootable disc inserted?
Well if it is completely crapped to hell, and you didn't attempt to flash it, you could always try to upgrade the bios. It may work, it may not, just a thought if you can't access it... if not, you're no worse off than you were lol.

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one in the faulty motherboard boat. I too have a defective one in need of manufacturer replacment, lol good luck.

Oh oh oh also, verify your power supply is working correctly. I believe you can test this by shorting the green pins(don't quote me.....o_O) on the connector that goes to the motherboard and if the fan spins it at least turns on. I wouldn't hold the paper-clip or whatever you use to short on there for too long (dont grab it with your bare hands, use electrialc tape or a glove to hold it). You can find detailed instructions and confirmation about the color wire to short if you google "testing faulty power supply".

trong_pw

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I use the Dell latitude D610 and it happened to me this morning also. Below are what I have done to bring it to work.

+ Remove the power supply
+ Remove the PC battery
+ Remove the CMOS battery

After removing all above items, wait for 10 sec, then install them back.

Start the PC, you will be noticed of PC configuration (F1 to skip or F2 to enter the setup page). You can go either way.

After windows loading, you edit date and time, then you go to Dell.com to download the lastest BIOS and update it.

Hope this helps.

NDTrong

Solution

axlekitty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I would add one more step to that: after everything is removed, press the power button "on" (it obviously will not turn on but will discharge the remaining current in the computer circuits and drain the cmos temp memory to reset it completely).

randyt700

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
WOWWWW! someone give this man a medal as well as the man before him. Their responses helped save a lot of money. I had the same problem with this "time-of-day clock stopped" and i googled it and i got a lot of responses in a different forum. It was one of the dell community support forums and they all replied saying change the CMOS battery. But they forgot to mention very key information that trong_pw and axlekitty revealed and that was "wait for 10 sec" after taking out the CMOS battery, and "after everything is removed, press the power button "on"" to discharge remaining current. Without these 2 pieces of information, i would've still have recieved the "time-of-day clock stopped" message. If the big and mighty dell technical support team saw these 2 posts by these 2 guys, they'd be pissed because these 2 posts can save a lot of money for a lot of people. I was close to paying/extending the warranty to get this problem fixed by dell but i decided to suck in my gut and keep googling and i found this forum. So hats off to those 2 guys. oh yeah and screw dell.

sage1130

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
thanks a lot trong_pw ,axlekitty for the tip and randyt700 for the confidence .
You guys saved a lot of trouble and money.
If this method doesn't work then leave your laptop for 1 day with ac adapter plugged
in and then try again.

jashley6369

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
This worked for me, THANKS SO MUCH. I followed the instruction by unplugging the battery, power chord and little watch type battery. It didn't work the first try, so I to out the memory and took out the cpu and re-inserted, thinking this would reset the system. Turns out it worked and its actually running faster now. As a pre-cursor, my systems clock has been running for an hour and then I would have to reset it. I dunno. But anyway, I went from thinking I had a worthless laptop to a working, and faster, laptop. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.