Time to build again?

Aug 17, 2018
Built my current system mostly in 2014 on an Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene Z97 mobo. I have a i5-4670 Haswell quad-core and 16gb (2X 8gb) G-Skill DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Ram. In 2016 I upgraded my GPU from a gtx770 to a gtx1070. I run my OS on 2x 256GB SSD's in RAID 0 and have a 2 TB Sata HD for Movies, Games and applications. With most of my components reaching the 4 year mark I'm thinking I may need to upgrade but I haven't kept up with the hardware for the past few years. My processor is 4th generation and I hear 8th generation processors are set to be released soon. GTX2000 series GPU's and DDR4 or maybe even DDR5 ram. I'm feeling a little dated but many people have said my system is still a solid performer for my purposes, gaming, streaming, VR and programming. How much of a performance bump would I actually see and is it time to make the move?

Solution
You probably will see a pretty major increase in performance switching to an 8th generation i5 or one of the higher end Ryzen processors from the 2nd gen, depending on the games you're playing. If your PC is not suffering with any tasks/games, then I don't see the point of upgrading. Your PC still stands out pretty well in my opinion.
You probably will see a pretty major increase in performance switching to an 8th generation i5 or one of the higher end Ryzen processors from the 2nd gen, depending on the games you're playing. If your PC is not suffering with any tasks/games, then I don't see the point of upgrading. Your PC still stands out pretty well in my opinion.

Solution
Only real performace increase would at the point would be CPU related, either getting a 4770 or 4790, or upgrading to a 8th Gen intel platform (if you primary concern is gaming)
But with an Intel or Ryzen platform upgrade you are looking at CPU+Motherboard+DDR4 RAM.
I'm still running my 4770k 32GB of RAM, 6 SSD's (No RAID due to performance decreases in random IOP/s), and a GTX 1070 (upgraded from 770 4GB), haven't had any problems playing games.

Unless your CPU or GPU are bottlenecking you with the games you play you will probably see little to no performance increase.

If you are using a 1080p 60Hz monitor I would recommend getting a 1440p 144hz instead, much more worth the money, I don't really play FPS's that much but even in MMO's it makes a huge difference on the smoothness of the game.

Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for the answers, I really don't see any issues with gaming, VR (Oculus) and programming. Occasionally I see stuttering or buffering when I'm streaming which could be a bandwidth issue from my ISP or maybe I'm overworking the 1070. I drive the Oculus, a 4K monitor and a 4K TV. I'm thinking I may just get a 2nd 1070 and run them in SLI and wait a bit longer on the total rebuild.

mgallo848

Commendable

The stuttering during streaming is from your CPU. It's still VERY good for gaming but it will struggle during streaming. An i7 4790k would help eliminate the stuttering when you stream.

I would wait on getting a GPU. SLI and crossfire setups are becoming more and more of an issue with most games.

SLI is a terrible idea, a ton of games don't support it, those that do can be glitchy. Waiting for the next generation is a good idea. Although upgrading your CPU first will be better.