Time to Make the Switch?

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I've about had it with AMD. I've built some great AMD based systems, but I'm tired of all the issues. I have two 6870s in crossfire, they bottleneck on my BE 955, even at 3.8Ghz. I'm having occasional two beeps at start, parity circuit error, so either my mobo or my RAM is acting up. I'm just tired of dealing with it all. I love AMD, the price/performance is really hard to pass up, but I don't have as much time as I used to. I don't want to have to crack my case every other month to fix a new issue.

So, I'm debating just emptying my pockets for an Intel system. I hear a lot of people have great luck with i7s and crossfire/sli. I know Intel isn't bulletproof and has plenty of problems of its own, but I don't seem to hear about them as much. Just looking for opinions from people who are a lot more dedicated to this kind of stuff than I am, not trying to start an AMD/Intel war here.

So am I way off base here? Or is it time to make the switch? Thanks.

suteck

Distinguished
2600K (4/8) or the 3930K (6/12) depends on your needs and a little on the pocket. My bias-opinion, never had issues and I stick with the ati video cards - even though amd bought them out. I've had issues aplenty with nvidia.

So switch them out - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E $600 / SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 $110 and a Gigabyte UD3 - $240 and everything else you already got, unless you want this G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB for $130.

suteck

Distinguished
Really??? He Doesn't NEED an X79 setup. I said "depending on your needs". It's a simple recommendation. He didn't say nothing about money, needs, usages or anything and neither did I! It was just a recommendation just like yours. Well, Probably better than yours> Why didn't you recommend an i3 just to get him off the amd chips? Do YOU know what his needs are??? No! You recommended what YOU have, well, so did I - THAT'S WTF!

caqde

Distinguished

?? Well most of your issues are not AMD or even Intel related. A motherboard issue is a motherboard issue is a motherboard issue period. Heck even if your issue is due to being overclocked to high you would still see those issues on an Intel system. Those issues are not specific to any platform. So changing to an Intel system would not clear you of those type of issues in the long run. Obviously you should get more performance on an Intel system though.

If you are worried about your memory giving you issues you need to run a copy of Memtest86 to check for issues. If you decide to move to an i5/i7 given you likely have DDR3 moving that memory to the Intel system would create issues.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

I already have 16GB of RAM and 2x6870s that I plan on using. I should get more performance out of my 6870s with an i5 or i7 seeing as how they won't bottleneck as badly, and they run fine as is so I don't plan on swapping out gpus. I did a little research on the 2500k, so far I see nothing I don't like. Sounds solid.

I looked at a few i7s, but they're just so expensive. Coming from an AMD only background, I have a lot of trouble paying >$300 for a cpu, haha.

I understand what you're saying, but I have built quite a few AMD systems, and they're great, but I do seem to run into more limitations and issues than most people with Intel systems seem to. I picked a bummer of a mobo, and that's not AMD related, its just making me consider an upgrade is all. And thanks for the suggestion, I have memtest64 on a flashdrive, I plan on running it next time I reboot.

suteck

Distinguished
Yes Sir, Like I said, it just depends on you needs and pocket. The 2500K is a great chip. With 4 cores it will handle most things you can throw at it. And it overclocks well in you do that sort of thing.

@recon-uk - I can't, I'd be in a box lol :pfff:

suteck

Distinguished
HAH your the one who questioned me with your WTH? For a simple recommendation? I just responded in kind - take you own advice and I wouldn't have had to respond to your question in the same tone you asked it with. And let it go, it's not helping the OP