[SOLVED] Time to upgrade, advice & direction required

May 22, 2020
Evening all,

My PC knowledge is limited, I don't profess to be anything more than I am which is, I understand basic components and their functions, I built my own PC,

The time has come to upgrade this one though as I can't really run Watchdogs 2 which is saddening!

Current specs & components are:
CPU - AMD FX-4300
GPU - Nvidia GTX 750-TI
HDD ( I know I need to move to SDD) Seagate Barracude 7200.14 1TB
Ram - 16GB
MBD - Asus M5A78L-M LX3

I imagine it will cost a few hundred so I will probably buy a couple parts a month but would rather spend a bit more to make it 'future proof'

Any reccomendations would be greatly recieved.

Cheers
Z

Solution
£300 would get you a fair core system upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (£150.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£77.76 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £291.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-22 23:17 BST+0100

Later, you can upgrade to an SSD and a better graphics card.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
First off, don't purchase anything that is going to just sit on a shelf waiting for other components. Save up to purchase it all at once or in usable bunches. For example, don't buy a motherboard without buying the CPU and RAM at the same time.

Second, new generation of processors are coming out in the next few months. You may want to consider waiting until they are released.

If you cannot wait, then what is your current upgrade budget.

-Wolf sends

May 22, 2020
First off, don't purchase anything that is going to just sit on a shelf waiting for other components. Save up to purchase it all at once or in usable bunches. For example, don't buy a motherboard without buying the CPU and RAM at the same time.

Second, new generation of processors are coming out in the next few months. You may want to consider waiting until they are released.

If you cannot wait, then what is your current upgrade budget.

-Wolf sends

Makes sense, I’d probably prefer to do a bulk upgrade in one hit to be fair, saves on extra stress on the older components which will only frustrate me more lol

I remember building this all in for around £300 I think at the time? I guess around the same amount? Or do you think I’m under on what I need to be?

Wolfshadw

Titan
£300 would get you a fair core system upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£77.76 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £291.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-22 23:17 BST+0100

Later, you can upgrade to an SSD and a better graphics card.

-Wolf sends

Solution
May 20, 2020
Evening all,

My PC knowledge is limited, I don't profess to be anything more than I am which is, I understand basic components and their functions, I built my own PC,

The time has come to upgrade this one though as I can't really run Watchdogs 2 which is saddening!

Current specs & components are:
CPU - AMD FX-4300
GPU - Nvidia GTX 750-TI
HDD ( I know I need to move to SDD) Seagate Barracude 7200.14 1TB
Ram - 16GB
MBD - Asus M5A78L-M LX3

I imagine it will cost a few hundred so I will probably buy a couple parts a month but would rather spend a bit more to make it 'future proof'

Any reccomendations would be greatly recieved.

Cheers
Z
I'd recommend a better CPU and GPU. Also, make sure to get a better PSU too. If you are planning at playing at high refresh rates and better resolutions, definetely get a new GPU then. If you dont play graphic intensive games, dont play games that look better with higher resolutions or run better with a good GPU and CPU then it's fine. Upgrading RAM isn't needed, 16GB is pretty good, but for even better performance if your MB supports get 32 or 64GB. Also, get a good cooler to cool all this if your current one cant handle. Happy upgrading.

On the 300£ mark.
Couple of tweaks, Pro4, this mobo has a boost called BFB which actually overclocks your CPU beyond the stock clocks, which is always a welcome , even more when you have a locked CPU.
The memory match the mobo (white) and runs faster.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B365 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£80.64 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£69.38 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £300.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 00:02 BST+0100