Question Time to upgrade! But to what?

macross_green

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
Approximate Purchase Date: Around July 5th. Later only if the Nvidia Super cards wind up wowing me or something.
Usage: Gaming at (eventually) 1440p at max/ultra settings. Likely best to consider that I'd be playing somewhat older games- newest ones I'd be playing would be games like Monster Hunter World.
Current GPU/PSU: EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0. EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold plus power supply.
Preferred Websites: Either newegg or EVGA due to upgrade program.
Current system: Ryzen 2600X, 16gb RAM.

I have no real parts preferences. I won't be overclocking at all, and no SLI/Crossfire.

My budget is about $450, before tax.

Considering the EVGA upgrade program (which my GPU qualifies for), I can trade that in for $75 toward a reduced-priced GPU from their stock. For example, their basic model of 2070 is $439 before the trade-in value is applied (and brings the total to just slightly over $400, after tax). However, I'm looking for second opinions and options, as there's no telling how long their upgrade program's going to be available, so if they finish it before the 5th then I'll be looking for alternatives.

That evga deal just started on the 26th, with no stated end date. I can only assume it will last until at least next Friday. It seems like a great deal. I've been very happy with my evga card!

It's also likely the best deal you'll get on a 2070. You may want to consider waiting for reviews on the new amd cards, but the 2070 will still be a great card. And at just over $400, a great deal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Monster Hunter World? What you need to run that at 1440p max: an RTX 2070 at the minimum.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/performance-analysis-monster-hunter-world/4.html
Granted, they used an 8700k and the chart is several months old - plenty of time for some slight performance updates, if any - it should still give you an idea of what to expect. (for reference, 2070 is to1080, 2080 is to 1080ti)

You should be able to find some models for ~$450-500.

EDIT: Not counting the refurbs and open boxes, the cheapest 2070s at the moment are going for ~$480 on Newegg.

Last edited: