Time to upgrade, help required.

Tzari

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Hey guys. I've been way out the loop for a few years, and recently I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my PC. I've had a mooch around for better gear, but to be honest, it's quite overwhelming, and I just get confused and give up on what a worthy upgrade would be.

Now my PC is getting on the slowboat with recent games.

My current specs are:
AMD FX 6100 (I'm sure this was good, once)
Asus M5A99x Evo
GTX 980 ti Xtreme (6 months old)
8gb Gskill 1600 RAM

I'm thinking, that I could do with a Mobo, CPU and ram combo, which could be a nice kick start back to the game. However, I have no idea what to settle for. This is where you lovely chaps come in.
What's down with the hip kids nowadays?
Budget isn't exactly an issue, but I don't want to go mad and break the bank
I'm UK based, so this might affect sources?

Appreciate any help that comes this way

Many thanks
Tzari

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Solution

Tzari

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Oh wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I'm all up for near the 450 mark, I'll take a mooch around at those 2 options compared. And see if I'm happy with the extra being spent....

It looks like people are happy with the Ryzen CPUs :bounce:

For that sort of cash you'll get a very strong upgrade, and AMD has recently released some very competitive parts.
And from the Red Team we have: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/coozie7/saved/#view=st8cf7
And from the blue team: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/coozie7/saved/#view=CMvGXL

The AMD setup is self explanatory but I've made a odd choice with the Intel one.
EVERYONE is going to mention that I selected a 'Z' (overclocking friendly) motherboard with a non 'K' (not really overclockable) i5 CPU. The reasons are simple enough: 'B' and 'H' series motherboards don't support fast memory and the CPU likes fast memory. 'B' and 'H' motherboards don't usually have the connectivity or features of 'Z' 'boards. Neither 'B' nor 'H' 'boards are cheap enough to warrant the loss of features compared with a value 'Z' 'board.

Tzari

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Awesome stuff. I do like the look of the Ryzen, and it sounds cool..... I think I might go down that road.
I'll look into what you guys have recommended, and do some research. I now have some ideas from you to focus on.

Thanks for your time you've put into this, I'll update you with any decisions. :)