[SOLVED] Time to upgrade my old PC

Oct 22, 2019
Hello All!

I need some help with upgrading my PC Build!

At this point I would like to upgrade my GPU only. I would like to install the AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB), would my current configuration be compatible with it? Do I need to change the PSU as well? Thank you.

Case STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Storage Drive 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD

USB/Thunderbolt Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Solution
motherboard is just fine, the only issue will be the PSU. does it have the proper power ports for the card? IIRC its an 8-pin or a 6+2pin for the 580. if you do not have a 6+2 pin cable or an 8-pin cable you will need a new PSU, simple as that.

"Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan "
these are specs of the PSU. PSU 450W 80 plus dual rail with a 120mm fan is literally describing thousands of units from a dozen makers. when I search that string I do not get any results that are specific to one unit.

if you can take a picture of the label on the PSU and post it I should be able to locate it

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it may work. I wouldn't trust a new card/parts to an old PSU though. CPU is old enough that PSU is probably out of warranty.
the new card will consume 35more watts at peak draw than the old GPU. AMD calls for a 500W unit and I know a quality 450W unit can do the job, but which PSU do you have?

Reactions: An Cosby
Oct 22, 2019
My PSU Is,
Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Do you think that would be compatible? Also do you think that the Mother Borad is compatible too? My PC is 5 years old. Thank you for your help!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
motherboard is just fine, the only issue will be the PSU. does it have the proper power ports for the card? IIRC its an 8-pin or a 6+2pin for the 580. if you do not have a 6+2 pin cable or an 8-pin cable you will need a new PSU, simple as that.

"Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan "
these are specs of the PSU. PSU 450W 80 plus dual rail with a 120mm fan is literally describing thousands of units from a dozen makers. when I search that string I do not get any results that are specific to one unit.

if you can take a picture of the label on the PSU and post it I should be able to locate it

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
also known as the FSP APN series, had a 5 year warranty.
get a new unit, that can only provide 360W on the 12V rail. that is not enough to run the system and the rx-580.
if it even boots the PSU will burn itself ou running at full capacity quickly and as that is a budget unit I would not take the risk that when it fails it does not take everything with it.

it does not have the proper ports to power the card anyway.
2x6 pin cables cannot power an 8 pin