Time to upgrade? Or a few months more.

industriouscamel

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I currently have an 820D system built on the 945 chipset with an ATi x1800XL. In October I will be getting a E6300 and an Intel DG965WH motherboard.

My girlfriend and I play World of Warcraft. I built her a system out of spare parts and ended up with a Celeron 310 (2.16Ghz @ 3Ghz) with a Radeon 9800 pro on a 865 chipset system.

My delemia is, if I want to pass the 820D down to her I'll need to get a PCI-E video card and DDR2. The RAM I don't mind so much as its fairly inexpensive. However, Would I be better off getting her something along the lines of an X850, 7600 or x1800 GTO now, or holding off and waiting until the next gen cards come out and then giving her the X1800 that I have now?

Being that WOW is the only game that she plays and it can currently handle the game fine ~35-50 fps. Im leaning towards the later.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I currently have an 820D system built on the 945 chipset with an ATi x1800XL. In October I will be getting a E6300 and an Intel DG965WH motherboard.

My girlfriend and I play World of Warcraft. I built her a system out of spare parts and ended up with a Celeron 310 (2.16Ghz @ 3Ghz) with a Radeon 9800 pro on a 865 chipset system.

My delemia is, if I want to pass the 820D down to her I'll need to get a PCI-E video card and DDR2. The RAM I don't mind so much as its fairly inexpensive. However, Would I be better off getting her something along the lines of an X850, 7600 or x1800 GTO now, or holding off and waiting until the next gen cards come out and then giving her the X1800 that I have now?

Being that WOW is the only game that she plays and it can currently handle the game fine ~35-50 fps. Im leaning towards the later.

Honestly, your system seems fine. Your girlfriends is junk, but if shes only playing WoW on it, then theres no big issue. The x1800xt you have now is just fine, no need to upgrade unless you really want to. And if so, make sure your PSU can handle it of course. You might want to consider putting in more ram if you have 1GB or less, and a new video card if you got the money(along the lines of a x850pro, just something cheap to hold you her over). WoW really drains the life out of any computer, so the Fps your getting is normal, theres no need to worry. Hold off until DX10 and Vista rolls off the line, then build a whole new system. Good Luck. :D