[SOLVED] Time To Upgrade? Or Not

Malazan66

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
I have been kicking around the idea of a new Motherboard, CPU, and Memory. Not sure if it's worth it or not yet. I seem to still be getting it done with games

My current set up is:

Case: Fractal Design
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
CPU: i5 4670
GPU: EVGA GTX1080
SSD: 860 500gb X3
HD: WD Black 1TB x2
RAM: 16gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
PS: Seasonic 750w

Solution
If you were able to do Witcher 3 at 60fps or higher on max settings with no struggles, then I would say to just wait and think about an update when you DO encounter something that gives you problems, or when you start seeing signs of hardware troubles. Otherwise, there's not much point if it's already doing what you are asking it to do on everything you are asking it to do it on.
It's worth it, but whether or not it's worth it to YOU might be a different story.

It all depends on what resolution, how many monitors, what your expectations are or what you'd prefer to be ABLE to do in terms of FPS and settings, refresh rate, etc.

Depending on what games you are playing, the answer is, if you want to stay relevant, then yes. You have a great GPU which is a little imbalanced in your current system.

Your I5 is showing it's age now. It's okay for CS:GO, fortnight etc, but any AAA games, GTA V, BF 1/BF V, COD WW2, anything more modern will love you for an upgrade.

In it's day the I5 4670 was a great CPU, but there are lots of games now (and most into the future) that use more than 4c/4t CPU's. BF V for example will use 6 true cores and some more threads. You then see where your I5 will max out, and this causes in game stuttering and FPS drops.

For about 400$ you can update your base system, and along with your current PSU/GPU have a system capable of playing for another year or two at high settings and high FPS at 1080p/144hz - 1440p 60hz

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $387.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 16:16 EDT-0400

Malazan66

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Forgot to add I play at 1080p, I just finished The Witcher 3, GR Wildlands, and I had MAX everything and it never missed a beat? Not sure if that is still relevant though

I'm still trying to power my way through all the older Steam games I have LOL, I haven't started in on the 2019 games yet

Also PS is a Seasonic X750 Gold

If you were able to do Witcher 3 at 60fps or higher on max settings with no struggles, then I would say to just wait and think about an update when you DO encounter something that gives you problems, or when you start seeing signs of hardware troubles. Otherwise, there's not much point if it's already doing what you are asking it to do on everything you are asking it to do it on.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I concur with the others - if it's doing everything you want it to, then stick with it. Only start worrying about an upgrade when you start seeing shortcomings in your regular usage.

I've had the temptation as well. But I satisfy my fix by helping others who legitimately need an upgrade to choose parts. The i5-4460 system in my signature is my own gaming PC.

And that's actually ok, if you honestly have the funds free now or in the near future, since there are likely to be at least SOME of those parts available at pretty good prices during the upcoming holiday sales. Coffee lake refresh parts are going to be a year old come December, and Ryzen parts have already gone through the initial "gotta have it" burst of early adopters, plus both companies are currently trying very hard to vie for these sales so there could be some very compelling offers over the November through December period if you are ready to pull the trigger on something the minute you see it.

Even though you don't necessarily NEED it now, you will eventually, so if you can an upgrade for a really good price, now, while the getting is good, it could really be worth doing since who knows WHAT prices on RAM might do later on, or other parts as well. Consider, last year at this time the price of memory was about three times what it is right now, and it will likely head back that way again before too long, so at the very least buying a nice DDR4 kit now while prices are historically low could be a VERY good idea.