Question Time to Upgrade? Wait for new Socket Intel/AM (AM5)

Apr 16, 2021
Hello all

My system is quite old now. Its based on a i7-4770K Haswell and a 1080ti. I know it's time for a upgrade, not just for performance but mainly for new and greater expandability (USB3.0, M2 Drives, built in WIFI, etc). So it's not just the CPU that will be upgraded but (almost) everything else. I only plan to keep the VC (VC is planned for later due to inflated prices and low stock), all 3-4 HDs, and the PSU. Probably looking at $1500 total.

The real question is should I wait? I could upgrade now but I could also wait.

I know both AMD and Intel are at then end of their current socket lifecycle and that new sockets like AM5 will be available with 12-18 months. If I upgrade now, then I would likely have to upgrade everything again at the next refresh.

Still, because my system is so old, ANY upgrade will help.

Go now or push off until 2022 for Zen 4/Next Intel when we start seeing motherboards/cpus with the new socket?
Hey there,

Well, with a GTX1080ti to play around with, I'd prob just go with an upgrade, as opposed to whole new system!

The GTX 1080ti is still a very relevant GPU. Very capable up to 1440p with modern games at high fps and nice details settings.

Something like this would get you up to speed again, with some options for faster components down the line:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($160.77 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $989.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-16 13:26 EDT-0400
If you now only use hard drives, a very useful upgrade would be to a ssd for windows.
It will make everything you do much quicker, and it will be transportable to a future gen of motherboards and processors. A normal 2.5" sata ssd like a 1tb samsung 970 EVO will cost you about $120.
If whatever size comfortably holds the used contents of your windows C drive, the transition is trivial using their ssd migration app.
The value of m.2 pcie devices is faster sequential speeds, but you will hardly notice the difference.

See how you do.

If you need a stronger processor, you have no upgrade for your motherboard.
A stronger processor will also require a new motherboard as well as DDR4 ram.

If you need an upgrade today, I would look at ryzen 5000 series processors or intel 11th gen.
They have improved performance per clock.
You can get an idea by looking at the passmark performance numbers, compared to your i7-4770K
8 threads and a rating of 7072/2155

By comparison, a ryzen 5600x will have 12 threads and a rating of 22191/3382.
There is some scarcity but I see some around $385.

A similarly performing 12 thread I5-11600K will perform similarly but cost more like $270.

It is the single thread performance that is most important for games once you have a good graphics card like you do now.

Ultimately, if you have a need now, buy now.
Otherwise, just upgrade to a ssd and wait a year or two more.
I am not at all certain that 2022 will get widespread availability of the upgraded systems.

If you want, you could buy a new case; buy one that you love the looks of.
Last edited:


Dec 30, 2017
Unless you've overclocked the 4770 to the top even the i3 10100 will be an upgrade. You would have to opt in for ddr4 ram but if you get a decent mobo you can pair an i5 10400/11400 with it that will be a significant upgrade especially in core count and if you feel the need upgrade to i7 down the line. I don't think you will face the need to upgrade 11th gen series unless you put a beefy gpu and play at 1080p. Other than that I can't see any way of going wrong with the i5 11400/10400. Plus it won't exactly cost a fortune either.
Apr 16, 2021
Hi again

So most if you seem to think I should go now. I'll clarify two other points.
YES I am running 2xSSDs (SATA III) as well as 6x 6TB Drives.
YES I do plan to upgrade the GPU when this price craziness dies down. I refuse to give in to scalpers.

So the next question is Ryzen 5 5600x or 5800x (which is in stock) OR...i5-11600 or i7 11700?

Granted the Ryzens tend to be slightly faster, Intel is cheaper and leave greater room for upgrade as the LGA1200 I dont think is going anywhere for awhile.

Any advice? Which is the Smartest BUY bang for buck?
The main difference between the 5600x and the 5800x is the number of threads(12 vs.16)
The single thread performance is similar.
If your use is batch apps that can fully load many threads, then the 5800x is better.

On the intel side, a i5-11600K also has 12 threads and similar performance to the 5600X.
Bang for the buck is better if the price is lower than the 5600x.
Similarly, the i7-11700K has the same 16 threads as the 5800X and performs similarly.
If the 11700k is cheaper than the 5800x, that is the smarter buy.

I would not count on any upgrades to either ryzen or intel.
Next up will be DDR5 and entirely new motherboards to go along with new processors.
That is likely 2-3 years out.
The real question is should I wait? I could upgrade now but I could also wait.
That needs the real answer too...

I think you shouldn't wait if you're ready right now. Yes, there's newer tech coming but that's always the case. You're already getting lots of pointers on what to get, just choose wisely. Sure, it won't be the latest and greatest when Zen 4/Alder Lake hits but I suspect you won't buy anything that's the greatest today either so you really wont be any worse off. But compared to what you have now you'll be massively better off, and most likely it will be just as relevant in 6 or 7 years as your 4770 is now.
Last edited:


Jul 27, 2016
Do you need a computer now? Do you know after DDR5 is out they will be DDR 6 after that? You base your choice based on need/value.

10700 was 229
10850k is 329 (both of these at MC)

I think the 10850k for 329 is a good value for a 10/20 thread CPU.

Actually your current setup is not that bad. Any pressing reason you upgrading right now? Just too slow? What is the factor in upgrading? Just cause it not the latest generation is not a good reason to upgrade.