Question Time to upgrade

Sep 20, 2023
Hi

After some advice. My current system is as follows.
Gigabyte A320m-h Socket 4 motherboard
16GB Ram ( DDR 2666)
Ryzen 3 3200G
1TB HDD

Now i'm not big into new games, games i play are Uboat, FM23, older games etc. But think it is time to upgrade but budget is tight.
First thing i think is to get a SSD Nvd - Would definitely see an improvement.
But where to go from there i'm not sure. Done some research and option one could be is to get a GPU which would improve things, but don't want to spend big , maybe £100. But also seen some cpu/gpu matches can cause their own issues.
Secondly thinking the Ryzen 5 5600g could be an option, with associated motherboard upgrade.
Lastly is to get a ryzen chip/gpu combo that would work, but not sure where i should be looking (maybe £200 total cost)

Don't mind secondhand market, but always wary of pitfalls.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Sep 20, 2023
Also possibly looking at a Ryzen 5 2600x and a Asus ROG GTX 1060 as understand they dont have a bottleneck. Other GPU's mentioned are a rX580gb and a 5700XT

Hi

After some advice. My current system is as follows.
Gigabyte A320m-h Socket 4 motherboard
16GB Ram ( DDR 2666)
Ryzen 3 3200G
1TB HDD

Now i'm not big into new games, games i play are Uboat, FM23, older games etc. But think it is time to upgrade but budget is tight.
First thing i think is to get a SSD Nvd - Would definitely see an improvement.
But where to go from there i'm not sure. Done some research and option one could be is to get a GPU which would improve things, but don't want to spend big , maybe £100. But also seen some cpu/gpu matches can cause their own issues.
Secondly thinking the Ryzen 5 5600g could be an option, with associated motherboard upgrade.
Lastly is to get a ryzen chip/gpu combo that would work, but not sure where i should be looking (maybe £200 total cost)

Don't mind secondhand market, but always wary of pitfalls.

Does anyone have any suggestions.
It's your budget you could swap the hdd for a ssd and swap the cpu for a 5600g using your orig mobo.

Reactions: rocktalkrock
Sep 20, 2023
It's your budget you could swap the hdd for a ssd and swap the cpu for a 5600g using your orig mobo.
Thanks

Is definitely one option. Just wondering is a CPU with GPU might be better way to go, from looking at youtube channels a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu with either a RX580 or a GTX 1060 would be in budget. Would need to upgrade motherboard and ram, but it is possible.

Thanks

Is definitely one option. Just wondering is a CPU with GPU might be better way to go, from looking at youtube channels a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu with either a RX580 or a GTX 1060 would be in budget. Would need to upgrade motherboard and ram, but it is possible.
If you go the cpu/gpu route you might need to add a psu to the mix.
It's your budget.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tray processor, no cooler. You can pick up a cheap CPU cooler or make do with the one from the 3200G possibly.

As for a GPU, you might try to increase the budget a little so you can pick up a lightly used RX 6600 or 5500 XT.

If not that, then RX580 8GB is a decent choice, GTX1660 / 1660 Super is also a good option.

Sep 20, 2023
Tray processor, no cooler. You can pick up a cheap CPU cooler or make do with the one from the 3200G possibly.

As for a GPU, you might try to increase the budget a little so you can pick up a lightly used RX 6600 or 5500 XT.

If not that, then RX580 8GB is a decent choice, GTX1660 / 1660 Super is also a good option.
How about a GTX 1060?

PSu, got a 800 or 900 watt one. So that should be enough.

Found a site about bottlenecks, but seems they all work together ok

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A bit slower than the others, but still a decent enough card. Hard to recommend a 7 year old GPU at this point. Even the 1660 is already 5 years old, RX500 series is 6 years old. So you would be buying products with a lot of hours on the fans at minimum.

There is some cool stuff in the RTX series. An RTX 2060 or 2060 Super is another card you could make low bid attempts on, they are also around 150 like the used RX6600 and 5500XT 8GB.

The difference between £200 and £300 to spend is massive when looking at CPU and GPU. Brand new RX6600 are around £200 and is pretty much the entry level poster child GPU. Alongside the problematic Intel A750 (poor drivers) and underwhelming RTX 3050. (Not that they can't game, just cost a lot for the performance/incompatibilities)

Under that you have the overpriced GTX1650, barely enough card to be worthwhile RX 6500 XT, and the Intel A380 (6GB), which is an interesting light card choice,
though a tad expensive in the UK, and has the same driver issues as the bigger ones.

Reactions: Order 66
Sep 20, 2023
Because i'm not a big gamer, am reluctant spending too much as most games i play are older games that work fine on current system, hence thinking only a cost effective upgrade is needed, if that makes sense.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That calls into question the upgrade then. 3200G to 5600G gets you a faster processor, but basically the same graphics performance. Both Vega onboard.

If you want to expand the games you want to play into more recent titles, than an upgrade makes sense. CPU + GPU is certainly more performance, but if that is all it is, then you don't really need to replace the CPU.

You could just put that GTX 1060 in there. Vega graphics is closer to an GTX750Ti if I remember correctly.

Sep 20, 2023
That calls into question the upgrade then. 3200G to 5600G gets you a faster processor, but basically the same graphics performance. Both Vega onboard.

If you want to expand the games you want to play into more recent titles, than an upgrade makes sense. CPU + GPU is certainly more performance, but if that is all it is, then you don't really need to replace the CPU.

You could just put that GTX 1060 in there. Vega graphics is closer to an GTX750Ti if I remember correctly.
Just did a bottleneck check but supposedly the cpu isnt strong enough, so it says.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can safely ignore all online bottleneck calculators.

Obviously you wouldn't pair an RTX 4090 with a Ryzen 3200G, but that doesn't mean the overall system won't be faster, just that the GPU could get you more FPS with a faster CPU. That would be down to the game engine, not necessarily the in-game graphics settings. Nothing would stop you from rendering something at 8K and downscaling it for example and still making the GPU the bottleneck.

A GTX 1060 in the fastest system possible will produce more FPS at the right settings. But if the GPU becomes the limit, it doesn't matter at all what CPU you have. So you run 1080p ultra settings in the your old games. You have the best image quality and still get decent FPS, that is all that matters.

3200G is a lighter processor, but it is still relatively up to date, newer then the GTX1060 in fact. Plenty of contemporary builds with that exact setup that can run things just fine.

Reactions: barneyadi
Sep 20, 2023
Ok, might just get the new SSD and A card, seems to make the most sense from a budget point of view.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One quick way to judge something is to go to youtube, type in Ryzen 3200G and GTX1060 FPS, or any combination of hardware. You can often see many popular games being tested on various hardware. Pay attention to the FPS numbers and settings, not precisely what the gameplay looks like as video compression tends to smooth out stutters and other issues.