Time Warner Responds to Cap With 100 GB "Super Tier"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Its simple the cable companies are not going to upgrade there networks and wait till the situation in this country gets really bad. Then they are going to run to congress and cry saying they can't afford to update the technology and have the government pay for it. To bad Verizon keeps laying fiber and upgrading there network to keep up with demand. That is why i think the cable companies are just trying to squeeze there customers.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I have timerwarner only becuase there is no alternative for me, not even DSL. I have been a subsciber for awhile, supposedly I get to keep my unlimited service but if I ever change then it gets switched to metered. If DSL ever becomes available I'll drop them in a minute even if it means paying more for a slower speed w/o a cap. This is a lousy way to increase revenues. There is plenty of free stuff to download over torrents(or otherwise) that could would consume 40gigs in well under a month. Downloading more than just emails does not equate to piracy.

mac2j

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
As someone who has had every other service people have complained about (Comcast, Cox, Covad DSL, SBC DSL - I've moved around a lot) let me just say that nothing is worse that Time Warner Cable.

In NYC they are still in business because until recently (and still in many areas) they have had a monopoly.

A year ago their HD service only included EIGHT yes OCHO - HD channels ... now that FIOS is becoming available and the switch rate is something like 80% theyve actually started offering a real HD lineup of 50+ stations but their HD DVRs are still terrible (bug out when double recording HD all the time).

The ONE thing keeping them in business here was their internet service but now they are dead. Everyone I know is furious over this and most of them aren't even waiting but are switching asap. Verizon told me my area should be getting FIOS this summer so I'm 100% out then.

I can't wait till these morons drive Time Warner out of business - will be a good lesson to any other companies considering anything this stupid.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think there numbers are off by 1000%. It would be reasonable bandwidth caps if the rates were 50 gigs, 100 gigs, 200 gigs, and 400 gigs. With the advances being made to fiber optic networks, using such archiac limits would only assure the demise of their company. $0.10/GB overage.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
The government bailout plan already has large funding for broadband in the USA.

Also I blame the FCC for making the bandwidth for digital TV piss poor. I get good signal for my cable internet, why can't I receive good on the SAME LINE for my TV set?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
100GB "Super Tier", you got to be kidding, if 40gb or even 100gb caps become the norm we are scr*w*d, will will end up paying hundreds of dollars or being left behind as 2nd class netizens. all this nonsense is about them protecting their tv services, which will soon be eating gbs beyond belief. imagine someone with digitial tv watching 24x7x30 they get charged the same per month as someone watching 1 second. yet they are using a huge amount of bandwidth, so why do they discrimate against internet users. it's the same pipe, bandwidth. this is about getting 100-150 / month from us like they do for cable tv. so we will end up with 200-300 / month bill, they are nuts, haven't they heard what is happening in other countries, fiber 100 MB/s for only $60/m. we are ending up a 3rd world nation, shut out of the modern world by these crooks that then end up taking billions is corporate wellfare.

elkad

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Having a 5gig plan for light users is fine. But the complete absence of a 300gig plan or an unlimited plan is ridiculous.

And overage charges should never cost more than bumping to the next tier would. $1/GB is criminal. $0.10/GB would be high. $0.02 would be reasonable.

And nevermind the implications for open wireless. Those too ignorant to apply security would get bills in the thousands of dollars. Most would refuse to pay and switch to satellite+DSL

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Is there any kind of legal actions we can do about this ???
That is my question.Can we do a class action suit against them ?
I have no legal knowledge.

omicron_15

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
People please drop your TW cable and switch to dsl or another privider, the only thing they will listen to is your pocket book talking. We have to stop this insanely low meetering now!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
and I thought paying CAD $49.95 a month w/ 60GB cap is outrageous (well it is) but 40GB for US$59? That's insane. Most people will exceed that without flinching. Heck, I guzzle 45GB a month (it's called an improvement from my old bandwidth guzzle at 80GB/month). However, these ISPs are getting out of hand. The minimum for $50 plans should be at 100 - 200 GB.

deltatux

G

Here in Sweden no ISP would dream of trying to limit/CAP the usage! That ISP would immediately lose their customers.

I'm paying around 35USD per month and I have 8Mbit/s up and the same 8Mbit/s down. Depending on where you are living you can have much higher dwonload speed also to a lesser price than I have.

With the connection I have, I most often fileshare at least 50GB per day upload. The amount of download depends upon if I find something interesting. I'm using DU Meter to track these figures.

'Hobbs says that this is unfair and not the way most users want to pay for goods that they consume' I don't believe that this is correct. I think that people in the US are just like us in Sweden: In Sweden every customer wants a flat rate without any kind of limit/CAP.

/The Swede

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
To the guy that said comcast will do the same thing.. Doubtful.. They see how its blowing up in TW's face.. And would realize "hey..money money money".. When they'll find it so easy to still tw's subscribers now. As other isp's will. While TW will get away with this in certain locations were there is competition they will take a big hit. Specially as this gets spread around more and more. So the best thing everybody could do is make sure everybody knows what TW is doing. Hell people that use the internet won't like being told there is a cap, and a small one.

Although in reality if all their doing is using email/searching web it wouldn't make much difference, but it won't matter when you tell them they can get the same thing, without the cap or with a higher one for the same price. They will go with the better deal. Unless their die hard TW loyalist.. Which I can see no reason for that.

Now I could see the 100gb being the first cap.. Ok that is somewhat reasonable still small, but makes more sense. Although it still goes back to what I said.. Competition will eat them for breakfast.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Someone needs to do something legal about this situation and I do not have any legal skills.I don't even know if we can do something.Yes if TW cpas me I will want to leave them but also going to a new ISP won't solve this issue as your new ISP could do the same thing.
If there are folks reading these posts about TW and others Capping us and they are a lawyer or have a friend who is one we need to do something now.This whole idea of capping us is a crock of sh*t and I am really pissed off.
I am truly getting sick of living in this country and wish I could just go somewhere better.Thanks to the krap economy i have lost 2/3 of the money i put away for my retirement.I will not pay frakken TW more money only to be capped.These greedy yuppie prick companies are the reason why this economy is screwed.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
its been done to sit here in Australia and say your all complaining, we've had this for years. but the fact is, even by our standards, $55US is a RIPOFF for 40gb, we also have the option of just having our speed throttled if we go over, rather than getting charged extra, is this being proposed here?.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]its been done to sit here in Australia and say your all complaining, we've had this for years. but the fact is, even by our standards, $55US is a RIPOFF for 40gb, we also have the option of just having our speed throttled if we go over, rather than getting charged extra, is this being proposed here?.[/citation]

Hell no... that would defeat the REVENUE STREAM that TW is counting on gaining from this change.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Personally I wouldn't mind the caps so much if I saw them reducing the monthly base price. If they want to set up pay as you go internet connectivity I won't be happy about it, but I would want to see the monthly rate go down. What I see here looks like a simple cash grab - one that may even be encouraged by rights holders hoping to choke the pipe (of course this is totally groundless, but I like conspiracy theories :) )

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]What an unusual concept! Asking the customer to pay by what is used. Almost every business in the world follows this concept; why not internet access? ...[/citation]
Exactly! I buy a bandwidth and use a bandwidth. If I want slow Internet I should buy "small pipe". If I want fast Internet I should by "big pipe".
What TW is trying to do is to bill us twice. First for the "pipe" and second for the "water" delivered through the pipe. This would be ok if TW was originator of the information that I am using, but TW do not generate the information that was delivered to me, but the sites that I am visiting. How would you feel if Ford decides that you first pay for their truck and then pay them more money every time you are loading the truck with more then 100 pounds of goods?
This kind of business model is called racketeering. If TW is allow to do this, the Mafia will be legitimate company!

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I use 2 much internet. I rather not know how much i consume. And for the record ISP's in the USA suck ass. Why charge us more for a service that is outdated. That's like trying to bring the steam engine back from the grave yard wtf you thinking. Sell me old shit, fuck that. Move forward. The past is over, lets move forward like japan is. If ATT were to implement this I'd go to Verizon any day, that's if they don't turn as well. Only time will tell. I just hope Time Warner's success drops them into a complete failure and they go bankrupt and go out of business that's what i hope for, for them anyways. And for any company who tries to pull this type of bs on its customers.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
You've only got one cable provider because it's a waste of time and resources to string up 5 identical lines of cable on every power pole. Cable companies own their network and sharing doesn't really work.

Cable companies are regulated. If you feel you're being treated unfairly call your public service comission and complain.

[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Massa is drafting a bill that would prohibit this kind of metered billing, and issued a statement via his website condemning Time Warner Cable's decision:[10936 bytes]"Internet access is as essential to our economy as water is to our survival.[/citation]
Where I live, there are water meters. I pay by the cubic foot used. Poor analogy, I think.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Where I live, there are water meters. I pay by the cubic foot used. Poor analogy, I think.[/citation]

How much is the fee for having Water service, regardless of usage?

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Where I live, there are water meters. I pay by the cubic foot used. Poor analogy, I think.[/citation]

Ok well obviously it is talking about how water is essential to our bodies or we will die, like our economy will without internet access. Using water for watering your lawn/ washing your car is different, because it isn't necessary... the water you are talking about typically isn't the kind that you would go out and have a sip of when your thirsty or dying
And bottled water is a flat fee... you don't pay for every 1/4th of water that you drink, so you really don't have a point =x

and also, if this cap is even talked about coming to florida, im leaving TWC adn going to FIOS ( its in my area... idk why i dont have it now, lol)

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
$54 a month for 40GB are the F*****G crazy? I can only imagine the 100GB limit cost, those greedy bastards. God do I hate Time Warner. Their super-tier only outraged even more people once they say the pricing for the regular tier. Greedy, greedy bastards. Internet bandwith capability should be growing and getting cheaper. we're going in the opposite direction here, completely f*****g backwards. We need to be streaming HD movies, doing online storgage, backups, remote connections and all of that great stuff. Bandwidth caps will put a dead stop on progress.

WE MUST ALL FIGHT THESE GREEDY CORPORATIONS. LET TIME WARNER KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.