Timings and CAS for business apps and 2D multi-monitor work

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
For a to be built 2D multi monitor system for online stock and currency trading with an ASUS A8N5X mobo and AMD X2-3800, PNY Quadro NVS 440 PCIEX-16,.....I'm trying to decide on good, fast, reliable memory but I don't understand timing and CAS very well.

I'm not a gamer. No 3D games on this system.

I've sort of decided on 2 gigs of some Corsair Twinx2048-3200 or 3200PT or 3200C2. Two of them are 3-3-3-8 and one is 2-3-3-6. Will this work with the mobo and CPU?

Then there is the OCZ stuff: OCZ4002048-PFDC-K, P4002GK, ELDCPE and ELDCTEK (Couldn't they give them some easier to remember names or model numbers? I got a brain freeze here.)

They all seem to cost between $165 and $210, not that significant a difference over the life of the computer, and I can afford it anyway. I'm more interested in reasonably good speed and reliability and ease of installation and use and set up. Even some so called "value ram" is $185 for 2 Gigs.

So,....do any of these timing issues matter all that much for what I'm going to do? Will 2-3-3-6 make much difference over 3-3-3-8 to me or what I can see with up to 3 or 4 monitors on a broadband cable connection runnning a couple of programs at the same time downloading a bunch of changing charts?

I'm a senior citizen, so you'll have to be gentle with me.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
All the DIMMs will work fine with that mobo and CPU, but if you will use your PC for online trading only I would go for 1GB of the cheaper memories.
You need 2GB and very fast timings only if you play 3D games and thery resources hungry apps, like RDMS and simulation software.