Question Tingling sensation (small currents) on the chassis of a metal laptop

McClick

Honorable
Jan 31, 2016
Last year I bought a Lenovo laptop, with metal chassis. It gave tingling sensation and mini electro shocks when plugged in. I returned it and after some argument got my money back.

I went and bought Asus vivobook 15 S530, worked fine but quickly acquired a stain on the screen. Also had metal case but no tingling or at least not that I've noticed. Returned got because of that stain on the screen, no questions asked, got a Asus vivobook S531, essentially same but slightly updated model.

Was very pleased until I realized the same tingling sensation is there back again in its metal chassis.

Now I know what this is, I am a physicist. There is some AC leaking into the chassis. When I disconnect the laptop from the charger everything is fine.

Now the previous two laptops both came without three prong plug. This however comes with a 3 prong one, and when I plug it into grounding socket the tingling disappears.

Now like I said I am a physicist, I know what's happening here, but shouldn't grounding be there just in case something goes wrong?

Shouldn't these lapotops work just as fine without the grounding, the second one did?

The reason I am asking this, is because I am about to take the laptop back for the third time and I am sick of it.

On the internet this seems to be happening with lot's of metal laptops. Some even claim it is normal and that as long as you have the grounding it's ok if this happens???

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus
"but shouldn't grounding be there just in case something goes wrong? "

If there was no grounding prong on the first unit I think there was something wrong with the first unit.
I think the second unit was fine electrically.

The third unit with the three prong plug has no tingling when you ground it by plugging in the three prong plug. How are you plugging it in without grounding it (when you get the tingling)?

Regardless.....I can understand the tingling on the third unit if the ground isn't connected.....but why would you not connect it?

Finally.....I think all laptops should have three prong plug and a grounded chassis.

Last edited:

McClick

Honorable
Jan 31, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. You simply have sockets that have no grounding. And in Europe this is not that uncommon actually.

So when I plug it into a grounding socket the tingling goes away. But otherwise I have it.

I do agree you should have grounding with anything that has metal case.

I believe it has to be some kind of malfunction though when you can sense this tingling even when the grounding is off, since like I said I think grounding should be there only in the case of emergency.

Normally these things should not leak any elcetricty in the chassis? I mean that sound sane to me?