News Tiny $10 Raspberry Pi 5 PCie board brings low-cost, high-speed storage – the end of micro SD is nigh

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Overall, I think it is probably better to stop all the other small storage standards like CF cards. They cost ridiculously high while offering very mediocre performance. A mini SD card is very small as compared to a 2230 SSD, but I think it is possible for manufacturers to make some space in their device to accommodate the M2 SSD. I understand it will cost more because it is not just about having a M2 card slot, but I think it may be more cost efficient in the longer run.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Overall, I think it is probably better to stop all the other small storage standards like CF cards. They cost ridiculously high while offering very mediocre performance. A mini SD card is very small as compared to a 2230 SSD, but I think it is possible for manufacturers to make some space in their device to accommodate the M2 SSD. I understand it will cost more because it is not just about having a M2 card slot, but I think it may be more cost efficient in the longer run.
You’ve just reinvented CFExpress. CFExpress is basically PCIe with proprietary validation certifications applied, and packaged in a durable case/interface. There are hacky adapters that let you use 2230 SSDs but the user still needs to run validation testing to confirm it works in their camera/device etc - which is what they’re paying for in a plug and play product.

Oct 17, 2023