Tiny distance between gpu and psu

fernandojsg

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm planning to buy a new computer with i6700k, Asus Strix GTX 980 ti (Mainly because it seems to be quiet), 1 SSD, 32GB and air cooling. And I would love to have an small and quiet case, so I saw Fractal Design Nano S.

But after looking for similar setup I just saw that the GPU is soo close to the PSU:
RzGPl46.png

uEjSlat.png

What do you think about it? I guess is not so good for the GPU to get all the heat from the PSU and the fan on the left has no room to take air right?Should I keep going there

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
For that particular build; It's no problem for the GPU, it will find enough air to take-in, as the blower is in free space. Even with a non-reference model GPU with outtake it will still be fine. It would be ideal if the power supply was placed upside down so the fan is facing downwards. That's what the holes on the bottom are for. However It's still fine like this.

fernandojsg

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

I'm planning to use a non-reference card like the strix or whatever with 2 or 3 fans, so one or one and half will be over the psu. Do you think it's ok even in that situation?

My original idea was also to place the fan facing down to take air from outside

The top build is excellent, the bottom less so.

A gtx980ti with a blower cooler will have no problem cooling itself with the top rig.
EVGA makes a nice SC version.
How much do you really need?
Compare the boost clocks and you will not see much difference.
The bottom rig will starve it for cooling air because of the full front radiator.
If you try to use a graphics card with fan type coolers, you will need better case cooling.

The top rig with a single radiator is adequate for a i7-6700K.
Actually, you could use air cooling if you wanted, 14nm does not need exotic cooling.

The psu only needs air to cool itself.
It is better if your case has an opening on the bottom, but if not intake from inside the case will be sufficient.

Either psu will be loafing and the fan will hardly run at all.

fernandojsg

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

I'm 3D developer and I'm going to start developing also for VR (Oculus, HTC vive) so they are quite gpu-hungry. But I didn't choose a blower gpu just because I thought that the fan type coolers would generate less noise.
My plans are to include two noctua 140mm fans on the front and another noctua for the cpu to try to keep it silent as possible.