News Tiny Touchscreen PC Doubles Crowdfunder Target

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Back in the day, there was a real battle between hand held digital assistants and cell phones for the dominant technology. For those crowdfunding this project: The 90's called to let you know that the cell phone won.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Several years back I could still buy a relatively satisfying Win 10 tablet, and those were under 150$ (shipped and taxed). Mine gad Android and Win 10 dual boot. Unfortunately wife broke the screen :-/

Ever since, x86 hardware is being extinct. And rare models like this one are still pushing obsolete Atom (Celeron) 14nm parts.

Best (but not cheapest) x86 alternative is probably AMD Ryzen Embedded R2000 Series, starting at 12W. But even that is based on 12nm Zen+ cores.

I really wish for something like 8-10W R3000 with Zen 3/4 and RDNA, and sane price. Then devices like this one (and smaller 8-10" tablets) would probably flourish again. I know I'd buy one.

Back in the day, there was a real battle between hand held digital assistants and cell phones for the dominant technology. For those crowdfunding this project: The 90's called to let you know that the cell phone won.
What are you talking about? In the 90's the only thing a phone could do besides calling someone was playin snake.
The cell phone of the 90's didn't win, it just got capable enough to incorporate everything the PDAs had, the two technologies merged and became the smart phone, if you look at it the smart phone is much closer to the PDAs of the past than to the cell phones.

At $2-300 it would be a nice alternative to the steamdeck for people that are ok with simpler games and external controllers.
I can also imagine a whole slew of professionals that would like this thing, if you work in IT being able to connect anything to your portable PC and run any diagnostic you want would be very nice.

Reactions: salgado18

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I can also imagine a whole slew of professionals that would like this thing, if you work in IT being able to connect anything to your portable PC and run any diagnostic you want would be very nice.

Hadn't thought of an application like this. Wouldn't mind dumping my surface book for something pocket sized.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
What are you talking about? In the 90's the only thing a phone could do besides calling someone was playin snake.
The cell phone of the 90's didn't win, it just got capable enough to incorporate everything the PDAs had, the two technologies merged and became the smart phone, if you look at it the smart phone is much closer to the PDAs of the past than to the cell phones.

At $2-300 it would be a nice alternative to the steamdeck for people that are ok with simpler games and external controllers.

I didn't say the phone of the 90's won, but that is when the battle began. Nobody knew which piece of tech would evolve into the omnipresent pocket computer everyone would carry around. If you check the calendar on your digital assistant... oh, don't have one? That's because nobody does: We use our cell phones. This device is an attempt to resurrect that long ago battle. People who are okay with simpler games can already game on cell phones, they are always connected to a cellular network, they have better support because they are mainstream, they have every app you need or dream of (including software to remote control and shadow your home PC) they make phone calls and send texts, etc., etc. As far as an IT professional using this in any meaningful way, it is doubtful that it would run business worthy software or do any kind of useful "diagnostic" (that's what corporate help desks are for). I'm sorry, but it is going to just be a novelty that does nothing well and becomes a nuisance to carry around like an iPod touch, or something. Oh, and good luck finding a case or screen protector to fit; it will be broken in 6 months if it isn't relegated to live in the nightstand drawer by then.

D

Deleted member 14196

So why are there so many advertisements when I go to that site to read the articles? If you’re logged in as a user you shouldn’t be seeing advertisements. That’s why I hate reading your articles. I don’t think other website to do this to their users. This is abuse and the articles are poorly written
If you guys want more readers then stop abusing them with advertisements because nobody’s going to put up with that.

Reactions: The Wizzard