Tips & Advice On Buying Used...

musak99

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
What are some tips you guys have for anybody that is buying a used computer or parts from another person?

Such as... asking for a working demo, getting receits and stuff like that.

Also, I'm planning to buy a used system. I was told that the components still have 1-2 years left on the warranty
but I would have to contact each induvidual company if one of the components cause me problems. Is that the
way it works? I don't know anything about how to handle computer part warranties. Will I need a receit?

Thanks.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
The receipt is a must if those parts are still under warranty. Even you are going to the manufacturer instead of retailer they will require your receipt or serial number. But most of the time you should go to retailer if the last owner pruchased them in local retail shop.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
When buying used always test before you buy whenever possible. If you're buying a whole system then run scandisk to check the hard drive for errors (warning, this will take a very long time). Check the device manager in the control panel for possible bad devices. Check the display properties and set them to their highest. If you know what you're looking at have them remove the cover and see that the RAM, modem, etc is what they say it is. Finaly check the BIOS to see that the mobo and CPU are what they say they are. I've seen people trying to sell overclocked CPU's as non-overclocked. You can also try running testing software such as motherboard monitor, memtest86, 3D mark 2001, etc.

Testing components may be a bit more difficult if the seller doesn't have a test system ready.

Final words: beware of a seller that insists the he bring the system to you instead of you coming to his house. Get a written, dated recipt, as a recipt is a legally binding contract. If they balk at giving you a recipt then walk away. Anything that's signed and dated is a legally binding contract so if possible get the seller to sign a sheet of paper with a written gaurentee.

Of course, all this is moot if the seller is on ebay. There you have to rely on their feedback.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Oh, and you will need the origional store recipt to return products to the manufacturer.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.