[SOLVED] Tips for, Intel RST Premium w/ Optane, help appreciated

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Last month I inquired about my new Acer Aspire 7 laptop that came with the i7-9750h.

The motherboard has two PCIe M.2 slots

Slot 1: “PCIe” (M.2)
Slot 2: “SATA / PCIe” (M.2)
Slot 3: “SATA3”

I knew I wasn’t mistaken when Acer advertised RAID 0 in one of its configurations.

So, am I looking at a priority hardware from Intel? I’m looking to maximum my configuration using all slots for Media Content creation.

I searched this:

"Intel RST Premium" is just a name given by Intel to its new generation of Intel SATA Chipset and PCIe Storage Controllers. These Controllers are able to manage the AHCI and NVMe protocol and to create and manage Intel SATA / PCIe RAID Arrays.”

How do I set RAID 0 and what storage hardware SSD’s do I need? Two identical M.2? Is SATA 3 reserved for the OS boot?

I am aware that I have to download Intel’s RST tools and Optane drivers I believe? I just want to make sure I buy the ideal SSD’s. And I’m confused if I even need an Optane memory chip 32gb at all? How could I even use it if it were to conflict the two M.2 SSD’s for RAID 0?

For example, can I buy two Samsung 970 Evo’s? Set these up in RAID 0?

Thanks

Solution
The m2 slots are for whatever purpose you want them to be. .
Optane is meant to cache HDD's so not it is not needed.

Setting up Raid on most newer hardware like yours is usually done right in the bios.
As for can you? We don't have your exact laptops' specs to check. Most laptops cater to their various outlets and have nearly identical models with slightly different abilities. the only difference would be the model# on the actual label having a different 'sub-model' number. Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G-71WS is different then the Aspire 7 A715-72G-55EP
Ideally both M2 drives & slots need to be identical for optimal performance otherwise you will get almost twice the speed & size of the slowest & smallest one. Like both be pcie3 x4 and...

popatim

Titan
The m2 slots are for whatever purpose you want them to be. .
Optane is meant to cache HDD's so not it is not needed.

Setting up Raid on most newer hardware like yours is usually done right in the bios.
As for can you? We don't have your exact laptops' specs to check. Most laptops cater to their various outlets and have nearly identical models with slightly different abilities. the only difference would be the model# on the actual label having a different 'sub-model' number. Acer Aspire 7 A715-74G-71WS is different then the Aspire 7 A715-72G-55EP
Ideally both M2 drives & slots need to be identical for optimal performance otherwise you will get almost twice the speed & size of the slowest & smallest one. Like both be pcie3 x4 and not one at x4 and one at x2.

Since this is for media content creation, check your software vendor for their drives configuration recommendation. Often you Want several drives available. OS& Programs drive(s), libraries drive, Source files drive, Scratch drive, & Destination drive - for example. Having NVME drives will eliminate or combine several of these given that you probably can't process fast enough to utilize them fully. Again, best to check with your software's support for what setup works best.

Lastly, for media creation, you probably need the performance the Pro drives offer.

Solution