Question Tips for unusual hardware requirements ?

Jul 16, 2021
Hi, so I have a different case for you today.
To begin with, let me introduce myself. I'm an 19 year old that works for an software company in Brazil. The software I'm currently working on is a MES (Manufacturing Execution System) and we're currently struggling with the hardware to use on site. The problem is we don't have a lot of options to choose from, and the ones we have are way to much overpriced (arround 6K for the basic ones).
If you have worked with any device for this kind of software (something like a tablet or an All-in-one pc) and could recomend anything to me I'd really apreciate

kanewolf

Titan
To begin with, let me introduce myself. I'm an 19 year old that works for an software company in Brazil. The software I'm currently working on is a MES (Manufacturing Execution System) and we're currently struggling with the hardware to use on site. The problem is we don't have a lot of options to choose from, and the ones we have are way to much overpriced (arround 6K for the basic ones).
If you have worked with any device for this kind of software (something like a tablet or an All-in-one pc) and could recomend anything to me I'd really apreciate
Is this a device for use in a "harsh" environment (high dust, etc)? What about waterproof?
What about a "regular" tablet with an enclosure ?

Reactions: Pitertri

Ralston18

Titan
Most software products have some listing of supporting hardware requirements.

Usually those requirements are presented in the form of "minimal", 'recommended" and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

Unfortunately the hardware choices can be and often may be both proprietary and expensive.

What are your operational requirements? What exactly is the MES doing or expected to do?

For the most part there are likely other (possibly many other) software applications that will meet your Company's requirements.

List your requirements - that would be a good starting point for soliciting additional thoughts and ideas.

Jul 16, 2021
Is this a device for use in a "harsh" environment (high dust, etc)? What about waterproof?
What about a "regular" tablet with an enclosure ?
It needs to resist to dust and impact sometimes, but that's not really the most important part of it.
The problem with a tablet is that it runs on Wi-fi and that can lead to huge issues with connection to the database sometimes, especially because companies don't really invest in a good wireless network coverage.

Jul 16, 2021
Most software products have some listing of supporting hardware requirements.

Usually those requirements are presented in the form of "minimal", 'recommended" and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

Unfortunately the hardware choices can be and often may be both proprietary and expensive.

What are your operational requirements? What exactly is the MES doing or expected to do?

For the most part there are likely other (possibly many other) software applications that will meet your Company's requirements.

List your requirements - that would be a good starting point for soliciting additional thoughts and ideas.
We do have a list of requirements, the problem is there are very little options available for us, and affordable options are even less available.
I will translate the list and post it here in a few moments

Jul 16, 2021
We don't really need anything fancy actually, it needs to be able to run chrome, have network conection (if possible cabled network) and have a screen bigger than 10 inches with a high contrast/brightness (if possible touchscreen), that's pretty much all there is to it

Ralston18

Titan
Late question: what 6K devices are/were under consideration? Make, model, source/vendor.

6K - what currency? The Real I I expect - correct?

Using the Real 6,000 is around $1,150 USD.

Is the MES software hosted on a server and the workstations just clients?

How many workstations do you need? What distances are involved between workstation locations?

Consider installing a wired network as part of requirements. Or perhaps even powerline adapters. Will cost more but it is likely that you will make up the costs in overall system performance.

Google "ruggedized chromebook touchscreen".

There are number of product choices that meet your requirements and can do so within harsh environments as mentioned by @kanewolf.

For example (not recommending or endorsing):

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebook-Laptop-11-6-Ruggedized-Touchscreen/dp/B095PHT5CF

Seems to meet your specs and is well within budget.

Jul 16, 2021
Late question: what 6K devices are/were under consideration? Make, model, source/vendor.

6K - what currency? The Real I I expect - correct?

Using the Real 6,000 is around $1,150 USD.

Is the MES software hosted on a server and the workstations just clients?

How many workstations do you need? What distances are involved between workstation locations?

Consider installing a wired network as part of requirements. Or perhaps even powerline adapters. Will cost more but it is likely that you will make up the costs in overall system performance.

Google "ruggedized chromebook touchscreen".

There are number of product choices that meet your requirements and can do so within harsh environments as mentioned by @kanewolf.

For example (not recommending or endorsing):

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebook-Laptop-11-6-Ruggedized-Touchscreen/dp/B095PHT5CF

Seems to meet your specs and is well within budget.
Yes you're correct, my currency is the Real, but there is a little more to it then just direct currency exchange, a device that costs arround $100.00 would sell for about R$1000,00 here.

As for what devices were in consideration we looked at this particular model from Bematech: http://www.bematech.com.br/produto/mini-pdv-m10/
Couldn't find this link in english sorry.

The only problem with this it's that it goes WAY ABOVE what we are considering to pay for this kinds of devices (we were thinking of something arround R$1500,00 - R$2000,00), it was only being considered because it checks all the boxes we need for this specific devices.

We do usually require good cabled network from the clients on our contracts, the problem is they not allways follow those requirements and as we're not that big of a company we can't loose the client so we just work with what they give us, not the ideal but Brazil.

and for the last things you've asked, yes the MES software is installed on a server, and this workstation is going to be installed in the manufacturing machines, so how many we'd need and how far apart they'd be really depends on what kind of industry we're talking about, but just for you guys to have a better picture of it we have arround 2/3 workstations for each client and they're usually between 30 - 50 ft.

Also thanks for the indication, I didn't know rugged chromebooks were a thing, they didn't quite get here yet.