tips n adding new hardware to old pc?

Vonniecode

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I'm upgrading some hardware to my Antec case.

New;
PSU
2x GPU
hybrid HD

I have backed up copy of program files to external usb stick, is there anything else i should put on there. I am trying to save the down load time for gaming files etc but i had issues last time i updated my MB, my copy of WIN7 was no longer active and i had to re install, so i am backing up the files this time round lol.

Cheers in advanced

USAFRet

Titan

If your USB stick is large enough, copying your steamapps folder will greatly assist in the changeover.
Copying 'Program Files' is largely useless. Programs need to be reinstalled anyway.
Games in the Steam ecosystem only need the Steam client reinstalled. The games can be moved here and there.

Jaxem

Honorable
If you do a clean install, you can't just copy the program files folder over....well you can, but most if not all of the programs will not work. Programs put things in so many more places than just their folder in program files, the registry for example (very important)...you'll have to re-install all your programs if you're going to do a new windows install. Just make sure you have all the license keys you need for your software and keep your personal files backed up :)

Vonniecode

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies,

I'll just add;

I will be clean installingWin 7 and i just remember last time all my game updates took like 24hrs to download eg BF3 SWTOR etc etc

Thus my conclusion (copy program files) lol

So i will take onboard Steamapps data thankyou

It just seems to be overwhelming, i don't want to go through the trouble of things not working again when i changed my mobo.
Anyway i'll start collecting all my activation codes etc thankyou guys

TRENDING THREADS