How To Tips & Observations for Overclocking Samsung B-Die on the ROG STRIX X570-E (w/ Ryzen DRAM Calculator)

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
(((BACKGROUND)))

So, I recently swapped out my old set of Flare X (3200 cl14) b-die sticks for some brand new TridentZ Neo (3600 Cl16)(model F4-3600C16D-16GTZN) sticks and I'm having MUCH better overclocking results with this new set. I'm currently running a Ryzen 3700X, on the Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming motherboard (w/ bios 1404) and Ryzen High Performance Power Plan.

Since, it was actually a bit tricky to figure out a 100% stable/error-free configuration, I will share some of my findings as well as what I feel is the optimal setup for this particular set of b-die.

(((TIPS / OBSERVATIONS)))

- First and foremost...possibly the most important thing I've learned about using Ryzen DRAM Calc for OCing memory on this mobo (other than my issue with VDDP/VDDG which I will cover a bit later in this post) is that for some reason if you import your Thaiphoon Burner report into the Ryzen DRAM Calculator, and configure it that way, it will give you timings that are COMPLETELY screwed up and will not work no matter how much you tweak them. I'm not sure if it's due to the X570 platform still being relatively new, and therefore the DRAM Calc still needs some adjusting? Or if maybe somehow i'm messing up the process somehow (which not likely, as Ive been successfully using the DRAM Calc for over a year now and have never encountered this problem on B450).

But either way, I have not been able to get ANY of these 'import-based' calculations/recommendations to work. So, if you are having trouble getting good results with the DRAM Calc, I'd recommend not importing your Thaiphoon report, and instead manually entering your info.

(NOTE: If anyone else has encountered this problem, please tell me in the replies section. I'm interested to know if this has happened to anyone else, or if it's just me..lol)

- Next, for some reason I cannot get these sticks to run correctly when setting the ProcODT to anything lower than 36.9. The Ryzen DRAM Calculator recommends 34.3 ProcODT on all of the different configurations I've calculated. But I am lucky if I can even get my system to post, let alone run stable with that setting. 36.9 is just one setting higher and seems to be completely stable (AIDA64 Stability Test/30 - 45+ mins) with most configurations and the difference performance-wise between 36.9 and 34.3 is so minimal, that I doubt anyone could tell the difference during daily usage.

Even the benchmarks do not change much (if at all) and 36.9 actually produces higher scores in some situations. I've also discovered that with my particular setup (3700X/X570-E Gaming) that whenever I encounter a BSOD or a "no post" scenario, 9.5 out of 10 times, it was due to my ProcODT being set to low. As soon as I bump it up 1 level, the system will typically post and run correctly. Keep in mind that these findings ONLY pertain to my exact setup and therefore I cannot say whether they apply to ALL motherboards and setups. But with my setup I can almost guarantee that ProcODT is the culprit of any and all BSOD's or hard crashes/freezes are involved. Also if you run memtest and get a crap load of errors...im talking at least 10 or 20+. check your ProcODT setting, as it has also caused this on my system.

- Moving right along... I did a bit of experimenting between 3600mhz w/ safe and/or slightly tightened timings -vs- 3200Mhz w/ SUPER TIGHT timings. These results were a bit mixed at times, but overall, I found it better performance-wise (and latency-wise) to run the higher freq. and slightly looser timings. My conclusion as far as this matter is that when you bump up the DRAM freq. you are also able to boost the infinity fabric freq. higher. So I'm guessing maybe this results in your system (mainly you CPU) being able to move data around faster, seeing as most data will 'travel' over the IF at some point. Now, I'm not 100% sure if this is completely true, as the jump in performance/latency could just be a result of the higher DRAM freq alone. But whatever...it's fun to speculate and I'm bored AF ATM lol

So anyway...moving right along...

Here are some of my other findings:

-SoC at 1.1v is almost always the best setting when setting the RAM clock to 3600mhz+. Once you lower the RAM freq. to approx. 3200mhz or lower, 1.050 seems to work well and it also creates less heat than a 1.1 setting would do. However, I would have to do further testing to see if there is a difference in performance when lowering the SoC voltage. I know from experience that when you undervolt Ryzen 3000, you will actually tend to sacrifice some performance. The only time undervolting would help boost performance, is if you are VERY temperature limited… (i.e. If you are experiencing temperatures in the 90°C to 95°C+ region.) and your chip is thermal throttling. Otherwise, leaving CPU voltage (VCore) set to 'auto' or setting a manual OC tends to be best. Whether that also applies to SoC, Im not sure. I'll look into it eventually...

-Higher freq. helps to lower latency (as mentioned above). The higher you can clock your memory, the lower your latency will be (as long as your timings are reasonable and not incredibly loose). For example, I figured that running 3200mhz (14-13-13-13-28-42-252) would create lower latency than 3600mhz (16-16-16-16-32-48-345) due to the MUCH tighter sub-timings. But as far as I can tell, DRAM Freq. trumps timings as far as latency goes.

-As far as CAD_BUS Block settings, the only 2 configurations that worked well with my setup are either 24-20-20-24 (first choice) or if that was too low, then I would run 24-24-24-24 (almost as good). But I havent had many issues with these settings and would generally recommend using the DRAM Calc. settings.

-Another very important thing I've learned, is that if you are running this combination of CPU, MOBO and RAM (see full setup below) or possibly any of the (ASUS X570 mobos, as many of them have the same basic VRM) you should probably NEVER mess around with ANY of the secondary voltages, such as VDDG, VDDP, etc. Ever since I built my new setup, a few weeks ago, I've been struggling to get my RAM to OC correctly. I had been OCing memory on my 2600X/B450 Tomahawk for so long, that I just figured you needed to follow the same steps for OCing Ryzen 3000 on x570.

Apparently this is not the case.

With Ryzen 2000/B450, I literally HAD to adjust the VDDP/VDDG properly in order for the memory to overclock correctly. Guess I carried that mentality over to my new setup and therefore I've been screwing around with VDDP/VDDG for weeks (literally) trying to get a stable overclock. I've heard numerous sources/guides claim that setting the VDDP/VDDG voltage manually was absolutely necessary in order to ensure a proper overclock. Well....apparently that is NOT the case. At least with my setup...

So, anyway... about a day or two ago, after much research and listening to recommendations from other overclockers, I finally decided to try running my ram OC with ALL the secondary voltages set to [AUTO]. That goes for ANYTHINGother than DRAM Voltage and SoC voltage. I wasn't very confident that this would work, and tbh I was a bit concerned that I may actually damage my system, as Im not very familiar with how these voltages work on on X570.

Long story short (or long lol)...IT WORKED!! Leaving all the 'secondary' voltages set to 'Auto' was the key to me FINALLY being able to achieve my first stable memory overclock on my new system. I have written numerous posts (in this forum and others) seeking help to understanding how these voltages work and what the best settings were...but all along I just needed to stop tweaking them like a maniac, and let them be.

(((CONCLUSION)))

I guess that's about all I have to say right now as far as this topic goes. The last bit of advice I would give is that you shouldn't always necessarily follow the DRAM Calculator reccomedations to a 'T'. This seems to be especially true for X570 boards and 100% true for the ROG STRIX X570-E.

So anyway... thank you to anyone who offered me help with this matter. My memory is now running GREAT and I'm having a blast tweaking it (like a true nerd lol). I'll include a couple of my best benchmark results below (3600mhz 14-15-15-15-30-48-288). But I'll also do a more in-depth look at memory overclocking on the X570-E some time in the future.

Thanks again!

-DUAL33s

SYSTEM SPECS:
Ryzen 5 3700X | Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming | Trident Z Neo (3600 C16) (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN) | PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT | Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (500gb) | WD Blue SSD (1tb) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB | Corsair CX650M | Acer KG271 27" 144hz

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Nice write up.
I personally have Never used all of the DRAM Calculator timings/settings.
With my 3200 MHZ G.Skill Trident Z kit (Samsun gB Die) on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F.
I got them to run at 3400 MHz with a cross between the Safe and fast settings from the calculator.

With my new Asus ROG Strix X470-F MB, 3700x and G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 kit (Hynix D die) the DRAM Calculator doesn't have settings for this Hynix DJR kit so I started with Hynix CJR settings and adjusted and tested from there until I got them to run at 3733.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020
Hey,

Your post one of the few things I found while googling DRAM setting for my X570 F gaming board.
I was able to OC my ram by just changing the recommended settings in the Main page of the calculator. I can boot into windows but when I ram a Ram Test it failed with over 10 errors and restarted my PC. So I figured I tried to find and change the Advance page's setting to see if I can get stability but I can't seem to find most of the settings other than the CAD BUS Timing which is

BUS AddrCmd = MemAddrCmdSetup
CAD_BUS CsOdt = MemCsOdtSetup
CAD_BUS Cke = MemCkeSetup

Do you where I can find the VTT DDR voltage Max and Min setting? I can only find one VTT DDR voltage setting in the Ai Tweaker Main menu. These settings are coming from the Advance page of the DRAM calculaor. Also someone recommended I change the prefetcher settigs but I can't find these either.

Any help would be appreciated.