Tips on upgrading Gaming/Recording RIG?

Greyclaw

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Hey guys,

How would you suggest I improve my rig for recording gameplay footage? I recently up to the 970 and an additional 8gb and playing pretty much any game is no problem at all. I do seem to have framerate issues on games like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare when trying to capture gameplay in 1080p. Any suggestions?

Specs:

Intel Core i5 3750k
MSI Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)
DDR3 18GB Kingston Beast
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Spl1nter_nz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
What are you using to record the footage?

If you are using a program like fraps and not something external you would probably find upgrading to a i7 would help due to hyper threading, it would handle the recording of footage better while in game. This is all dependent on how you are running the program though if you have the program trans-coding the footage as you game this would definitely help.

The added bonus is that the i7 would also show improvements with any video rendering you would undoubtedly do with your recorded footage.

Greyclaw

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

Yeah I've definitely considered upgrading the processor and I still may do. I have a Hauppauge HDPVR 2 capture card but in order to use it for my rig I have to feed the HDMI from the computer to the card and THEN from the card to the screen. Ive tried different leads but there is a very, very considerable drop in screen quality using this method (whites are off, screen grain, blurry ect.) So for now i've been using programs like Camtasia Studio and fraps.