Tirdent X heat spreader fell off

Adam Rabah

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
So , as stupid as this sounds, it's all true.. I am a huge computer modder, and I was about to theme the fins on my last stick of ram to match my PC (green), i took the screws and washers out, and proceeded to slide the fin off. The damn thing wouldn't come off ( I had some difficulties with previous ones but nothing like this one) finally after trying to slide it off, the whole damn side popped off with the fins still attached...and since I was outside on my driveway where I paint, the corner of the fins landed on rough pavement, and now is dink'd up, I haven't even had this stick for 48 hours, but I don't think that matter to G.Skill or the retailer ( Canada Computers) what would you do in this case? Try and RMA? Try and convince the retailer? Or just deal with it / fix it?

I've already re-sprayed the fins to see if I can deal with the way it looks if I manage to get the side back on.

Also I see this as G.Skills fault which is mainly why I'm posting here, what's your opinion? 3/4 of the RAM sticks were just fine, and not a problem, where this one seems like the fin was actually soldered to the heatspreader, which would be a defect considering it's advertised to come of , and 75% of them did, with ease.

Adam Rabah

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I updated the post a bit, I kinda see it as it was already broken because it didn't come off the way it was supposed to, or at all actually, I swear it's melted to the heat spreader... Also what can I use to reattach the spreader to the module?