Tired Of Lollipops? Try A Marshmallow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point of clarification, Google/Android actually had voice web search and voice text messaging about a year before Siri. They just never thought of personifying it and giving it a name so the press could talk about how wonderful an innovation it was.

If you own a Nexus device, you can install Marshmallow using Nexus Root Toolkit instead of waiting for your carrier to roll it out. Root doesn't yet work with the stock kernel (as of 10/5), as Google patched the security hole which was being used to get root access.
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I'm not tired enough of Jellybeans to drop $900 on a "flagship" phone that removed the SDHC slot and went with an integrated battery.

Galaxy Note II forever!

Right, which is why I mention in the article that Google already has applications that provide a lot of the same features as Cortana ans Siri. :)

This is a point of stepping up the services they affiliate with digital assistant software, not a point of Google is just now getting software capable of working similar to Cortana and Siri.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Will web have to wait till .1 or so version for bugs to be worked out.

Seriously, they need to give users a fine grained application gate on everything. Applications able to see anything including their own use is a willful violation of privacy and security that should be punishable under law by criminal conviction. As a compromise (putting aside the inevitable class action by millions of people that can bankrupt companies) all such anti security spyware reporting activity should anomynously go through google api's so only google knows the source being restricted to non descriptive data. Applications should never be able to see what other applications are doing over such api's, or the app list, except communications to themselves, but failing that they should not be able to see other applications through the api's unless there are 1000 other users using at the moment and never where it is used (for anonymity, you might be the only one on the city). And all such reporting be done on a non unique ID basis, nor session, to stop them working out who it is, like they can on the web at the moment. A number of these things have been suggested already.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My S5 is still on 5.0 (not even 5.0.1). I'll be lucky if I get 6.0 before 7.0 is released at the rate Samsung and Verizon are updating their stuff.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
My S6 has 5.1.1, with the way Android does things I bet 6.0 Marshmallow will be the only OS upgrade the S6 sees even when 7.0 Nugget/Nugent// what ever name comes along!

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I just hope LG will show some love for its older devices, the G2 got lollipop early compared to the G3 and it killed the battery, at least give us this

Same here, i had to flash my phone back to stock, then use stump root, and then use battery fix to reset my battery files. Battery back to normal, but even when you OTA update, you should reset system files for your battery.

G

When I got stuck with Android 2.3 on my samsung galaxy, I said never again. Glad my nexus 5 will be updated soon, it will probably last another couple of years.

The THW article left out the biggest (and best) feature. You can allow/disallow individual security settings on an app-by-app basis. So if you like Angry Birds but don't think it has any business accessing the network, you can disable that and it can't phone home with your data anymore. Or if you don't see why your PDF reader app needs access to your contact list and microphone, you can disable those.

That right there is 90% of the reason I root my phone.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.