Tired of new threads that ask HOW to choose a MOBO!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
How many threads need to exist on the same topic before we make a sticky on choosing MoBos?

Again, and Again, we have people asking... What MOBO should I buy for the Core 2 Duo 6X00...

This question is the same over and over again... maybe we should start a sticky that will give hints on what to look for when picking a Motherboard, and give links to articles and reviews.

My answer is always the same... Since all Mobos use either the 765 or 775 chipset, the questions arise around a few major MoBos... and that the deciding factors should be A) Company Support, B) Product quality, C) Usage Requirements D) Price E) Support

Limit the discussion to non-watercooling applications... Because we can assume that the people who are watercooling should have enough sense to choose a MOBO themselves, either that, or they shouldnt be using watercooling.

Mike

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
How many threads need to exist on the same topic before we make a sticky on choosing MoBos?

Again, and Again, we have people asking... What MOBO should I buy for the Core 2 Duo 6X00...

This question is the same over and over again... maybe we should start a sticky that will give hints on what to look for when picking a Motherboard, and give links to articles and reviews.

My answer is always the same... Since all Mobos use either the 765 or 775 chipset, the questions arise around a few major MoBos... and that the deciding factors should be A) Company Support, B) Product quality, C) Usage Requirements D) Price E) Support

Limit the discussion to non-watercooling applications... Because we can assume that the people who are watercooling should have enough sense to choose a MOBO themselves, either that, or they shouldnt be using watercooling.

Mike
If you are so tired of it ... then don't read them...
also FYI it is 965 & 975...
perhaps you should read more of these threads and you will learn...

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

Mike

Uhm, k... I think this post would be more useful if you actually wrote the sticky you mention, and said "Hey, we have a sticky now, stop the posts" rather than "Hey, stop the posts... please?".

I think you mean "965 or 975". 775 is the socket. Just before you start giving out advice, might be useful.

I'm also quite confused at how people who are considering watercooling have access to a special, watercooling-only store of information the rest of us don't get. Picking a mobo, as you say, is about many things, and even for the best of us "sense" doesn't always get to the right purchase.

Synergy6

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Sorry about the typo... damn numbers...

Anyways... My sticky would probably say something like...

-----------------------------------
Look up at the Address Bar, its the white thing where you can type... its near the top

Click on it, and type "GOOGLE.COM"

The thing that loads up will say "Google" on it, and there will be another text box bellow that...

Type, "How to choose a Motherboard" or "Motherboard Reviews" or if your smart enough you can add the chips name to it, and put something like "X6800 Motherboard Reviews"

Then press Enter...

A bunch of pages will show up. Go down and select some pages to read... then READ!!!

BTW Reading is what your doing NOW!
--------------------

...I dont think they would make that as a sticky...

I have written and started a great thread about the 965 and 975... But I guess the people who are asking this question dont know what the NorthBridge is...

I dont mean to put down people who want to learn about this stuff... I love these people, and I am one of them... But when you are asking a question that exists 5 times on 2 pages... maybe there is a problem, with that individual. I try to ask VERY specific questions, that come from reading lots of articles, and yet a failure to understand or find a specific bit of information...

Anyways, I have written a great thread about what I learned of the differences from the 965's and 975's after spending a few days researching these two items.

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah, you're right, but you miss that I've done that (or I thought I've done that) and still have some questions. I guess I at least pass the "how do I pick a mobo" since i've learned what to look for, but without experience I have questions relating to the "am I correct" variety, and also of the "is this that important" type. What I mean is that most reviews tell you all that is good and bad. But I don't know whether having a Sil 3312 chip vs. 3314 vs 3332 is of value or not. There is also the "is this still true" variety, since many reviews of the Gigabyte G1975x mobo were written before Conroe was even out.

Anyway, since you volunteered, answer me these and use them to make a sticky:

Okay, looking to build my first system from the case up. Never done before, but am electronically literate in the general sense. Know a little about computers, but not about overclocking (yet).

So anyway, I'm looking to select the Mobo and want to use the new intel core 2 duo chips (conroe?). Either the e6700 or e6600. Will run in a ultra aluminus case with ultra x2 550w pwr supply. Hoping to use either corsair or ocz memory and 2x western digital raptor drives in a raid 0 array. No idea on video card(s?) yet, but likely the ati 1900 series.

I'm graduating from an older dell dimension 8250 that just doesn't cut it anymore. Namely, I'm processing larger amounts of digi photos than ever before (had a baby girl!), and hope to edit video on the computer (bought a dvd video cam). In addition, who doesn't like a little gaming once in a while and the current generation of games just doesn't look any better than the last generation of games, so I must've hit a wall with the Dell system (including a videocard upgrade abotu a year ago)?

Okay, so as far as I can figure it out, the mobos go something like this: the 975x chipset is only being paired with the ICH7R southrbidge right now, while the p965 or g965 is being paired with either ICH7R or ICH8R. So first, is the only (significant) difference between the ICH7R and 8R being more usb/firewires? This may not be a big deal, but is handy.

Next, regarding the difference between the p965 and g965, is the only (significant) difference between the two that the "G" series has on board video and maybe a native video coding software thing built-in? Or are there other differences? No one has answered whether the G965 will perform same/better/worse than P965 once the onboard video is disabled thru use of a video card.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is whether the difference btween the 975 and 965 that the 975 supports Crossfire (or generically, dual PCI express video), while the 965 is a single video card? I mean I realize that they're different in more than just crossfire, but for a Noob who can't digest the nuances yet, is the basic difference the crossfire support? I know, some 965 cards have dual PCIexpress, but the ability to do dual video on a 965 card would be a hack, right? It seems the 975's purpose is for dual video card support, but I've read (without further explanation in those articles), that the 975x might have an edge in mathmatics and 2D processing, which is a lot of what I'd do.

I ask since I was going to go with the intel 975 badaxe mobo, but since then I am wondering. Wondering, first, to get a asus/abit/gigiabyte 975 mobo to try my hand at overclocking. Then since there doesn't seem to be as much development in the 975 mobos as in the 965 mobos, the 965's are looking better. A little cheaper and yes, I give up crossfire, but not sure I need it, or do I? Also, the 965 boards seem to be more "fleshed-out" and better support in the forums. I mean there's a handful of 975 boards, but a dozen or so of the 965 boards.

More doesn't make better, but it does say something - I'm just trying to figure out what its saying!

In particular, looking at the gigabyte GA-965P-dq6 mobo due to the 12 phase power for future quad core abilities, together with e6600. Of course Greenjelly's post elsewhere suggests the 975x chipset may be better suited to quad cores? Maybe I should just go with the rather straightforward Intel D975xbx mobo. I've read it can be overclocked within the chip's multiplier (don't think the multiplier can be unlocked), and I think I'd simply run a "safe" oc, of setting the fsb at 333 and use the 6600's 9x mult for a 2997mhz. But maybe this isn't so safe? Can someone help with whether oc'ing is easier or more difficult with the intel?

I'm very curious about (limited or moderate) overclocking, but realize since this is my first build and my wife will also use the computer, that perhaps I'd better play it safe and stick with an intel mobo? She may freak (as will I) if this thing keeps crashing.

any help appreciated, got the case, power supply, fans, cpu cooler, etc, looking to make a mobo choice so I can grab the memory and cpu and put her all together.

Curt J.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The part that most irritating is that a lot of the info is already available online. One just needs to look for it but apparently that's too much work these days.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
In particular, looking at the gigabyte GA-965P-dq6 mobo due to the 12 phase power for future quad core abilities,
you don't need all those phases if it's properly designed (same as more megapixels on a digicam isn't always better) - it's more of a marketing lead (more phases- check box) rather than engineering lead decision
e.g. abit's new AW9D-MAX only has 4-phases but is looking to be 1 of the best performing 775s so far.

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Holy crap! I picked my mobo cause i liked the box. :roll:

I did, however, manage to look online @ reviews first, but this one was the winner...... It works great for me.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...erboard&ProductID=2357&ProductName=GA-945G-S3

I dont like these 9XX chipsets cause they only have one IDE connector. Most of the HDD i have are not SATA and i'm a little restricted. Yeah i know they have the SATA->IDE but ah I cant be bothered. I guess 300 GB will have to do...LOL

Sometimes when we answer these kinda questions we mention something that somebody is considering. When I type in a google search for something I'll see a link to tomshardware forum with the exact product i'm considering. I hope people keep asking these questions so we can help many more than who post here.

That's how i came to know about this place.

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
wow harsh forum! :oops: but, I guess its words well taken since some of the stuff was "down there", although not really answers and instead confirmation of the remaining question: is that the difference b/w x and y.

I did post up here since in the end I wanted to know a bit of how oc'ing would apply to c2d mobos, maybe some can do it, but not as stable being worth the trouble. whatever.

Also, for googling as being the solution, go google "975x" or "d975xbx" or "overclocking 975x chipset" and see if you don't get the phone book. Yeah, we noobs (or at least me for one) try to wade thru it, but at some point, like the 4th or 5th page of google hits, your eyes gloss over.

I'll go to my room now.

curt j.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Well to allot of the questions there are no right answers... thats the problem...

OC'ing is like that... It takes a bit of guessing, patience, and basic knowledge...

Building systems depends on your need... IDE is poorly supported by the Intel Core 2 Duo chipsets...

The selection is limited... and you pick something and it usually works... So just do it... Its funny but I learn the most by answering other peoples questions... Participating in open discussions are the best way to learn. But only answer questions you know the answers too...

I make mistakes, and have been building systems my whole life... In fact custom systems are not the best answer for everyone... just for thoose who want the best, or cant aford for someone else to provide you with the best...

Im amazed at how few questions are about watercooling... But thats probably good, cause I forgot, or dont know what company makes allot of the parts in my machine...

That will come later, my water cooling lifespan is really short...

TRENDING THREADS