Tired of "will my card work with D3 and HL2"

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I'm getting a little annoyed that this forum has been overrun with "Will my _____ run Doom 3 and Half Life 2 at ____res with AA+AF"
Maybe it's just me that's so annoyed, but come on, there's not even a release date for these games and people want to know if it'll run on their system or which card will run it best. How is anyone supposed to know, not only are the games still in development, but drivers always change and other sh*t can happen!
If you want to play those games, then wait till they come out and look at benchies of the final versions of the games with supported, proven drivers. Is that too difficult??? I don't know if my 9500Pro will run the games at a good enough quality for me, but who has the answer? NOBODY (cept maybe Carmack and Newell), but they don't post on this board!

Everyone can make assumptions, but if you want the best performance for those games, wait and buy a card after those games ship!
Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest, I don't know how everyone else feels, but I'm getting a little tired of it.

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, since both games have leaked alpha versions... and I've tried them both on my 8500 and 9500 PRO to my satisfaction... and the performance will only get better with optimizations... I think that those of us who have tried them may be qualified to have an opinion based on the systems they tried it on.

Having said that, you're a complete idiot if you upgrade exclusively for something that isn't released yet, since hardware only gets cheaper over time.

But if you're upgrading because your current games are too slow with your hardware, and you want a little peace of mind that your purchase will have a bit of longevity, it may be a valid question.

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
You're right about people being complete idiots for buying cards for future games, especially when there's no certain release date for those games.
I also have the leaked alpha of Doom (not HL, still looking though) and I feel fairly confident recommending a card based on my experience with it. But the demo is from E3 2002! I'm sure the code has changed significantly.

What really annoys me is the sheer number of posts asking the same question "Is my card, or this card good enough" It's a question with no right answer, yet so many people say the 9800 should be perfect. But really there is no way to know for sure, who knows maybe the game has much more complex levels than has been shown, maybe a 9800 or 5950 can only run the final game at 800*600, no one knows! So please stop asking what card to get for Doom or Half Life!

pauldh

Illustrious
OK, now that you got that off your chest, could you tell me if my R9800 Pro will run both games at 1024 - 4X/8X? :lol: sorry, weird mood, and couldn't resist. :wink:

I'm not bothered by it too much, but I sure do see your point. It's hard to have the time to read all the topics, and those mixed in don't help much. I kinda assume they better make the games run well on certain cards, yet the res/detail level/ and eye candy who knows. Like Cleeve said, I can see someone who is buying now, wondering if they may be making a mistake seeing as they don't want to buy again when those games come out.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt