Titan Announces New Dragonfly CPU Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
The Dragonfly 4 looks interesting. The combo of thin tower and thin fan means there will be no interference issues with tall RAM heatsinks. I wonder how they perform. They'll be quiet for sure but I can't imagine they'll perform better than established budget coolers like CoolerMaster's Hyper 212+ or Evo. They just don't have the surface area to compete because of how thin they are.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
These are not coolers, don't know why we've always called heat dissipators as coolers, by now we should have had an actual cooler as small as these, guessing there isn't much money in small size coolers

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

You're arguing semantics. Don't do it bro, don't set yourself up.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I think heat sink is the term you're looking for, but they are all a means of heat removal.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

CPU heatsinks have always been called "coolers" colloquially. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Even liquid cooling could be called "liquid heat dissipation" if you wanted to try to get technical with it. The only "coolers" you'll find used PC's are thermoelectric coolers and they are much more expensive than any conventional PC heatsinks in terms of manufacturing costs and operational costs (they require hundreds of watts to effectively cool a PC CPU). They are only seen in extreme overclocking scenarios and even then are a rarity due to the size and power requirements of a Peltier cooler compared to the traditional LN2 or LHe pot.

TheFylingFish

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
These are not coolers, don't know why we've always called heat dissipators as coolers, by now we should have had an actual cooler as small as these, guessing there isn't much money in small size coolers
If you want to argue semantics, go back to the very basics. What do these do? The make your CPU cooler than it would be without them. Therefore they cool your CPU. Therefore they are coolers.
By another argument, cold is just the lack of heat. What does a heat dissipator do? It removes heat. Therefore it causes the lack of heat, which is cold, therefore it cools.

Status
Not open for further replies.