News Titan RTX Ada Quad-Slot 800W Cooler Reportedly Leaked

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
4 slots, 800 watt. Utterly ridiculous.

PC need to go to a unified memory architecture with a unified cooling system, like ARM (Apple), Consoles, Mobile and Servers have already done.

Reactions: phenomiix6

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I think at this point you just make it water cooled (AIO or waterblock) only; That heat sink probably costs more than what a water block (non AIO) would cost and then some.

Jul 18, 2022
If this is real, which wouldn't surprise me, it is going to be so ridiculously expensive it would only be an e-peen purchase IMHO, although maybe a competitive gamer could justify the purchase. It's still a ridiculous amount of power to play games. Hopefully it will be purchased and used for scientific endeavors that benefit all of humanity, but I suspect most will be purchased to play games.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
If this is real, which wouldn't surprise me, it is going to be so ridiculously expensive it would only be an e-peen purchase IMHO, although maybe a competitive gamer could justify the purchase. It's still a ridiculous amount of power to play games. Hopefully it will be purchased and used for scientific endeavors that benefit all of humanity, but I suspect most will be purchased to play games.
A GPU used for gaming? Preposterous!

800 watts.... so it can consume more than a whole system with a RTX 4090 + 13900KS? lol

8K gaming?, or very fast workstation?

I really hope anyone who buy this make sure to plug the 2x 16 pin connector all the way in.....

Do you need two PSUs for this ?, or Are there any desktop PSU out there in the market with 2 x 16 pins or 1 x 16 pin + 4 x 8pins?

Amdlova

Distinguished
800 watts.... so it can consume more than a whole system with a RTX 4090 + 13900KS? lol

I really hope anyone who buy this make sure to plug the 2x 16 pin connector all the way in.....

Do you need two PSUs for this ?, or Are there any desktop PSU out there in the market with 2 x 16 pins or 1 x 16 pin + 4 x 8pins?
Dual psu or 2000w psu:)

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
4 slots, 800 watt. Utterly ridiculous.

PC need to go to a unified memory architecture with a unified cooling system, like ARM (Apple), Consoles, Mobile and Servers have already done.
You're aware that no one is forcing you to buy it, right? The middle segment has remained pretty much static in terms of size and power consumption over the years, these monsters are for crazy enthusiasts with deep pockets or people who can get an advantage in their workload from the more powerful chip. On the other hand, if the whole industry followed Apple's example you couldn't upgrade anything, no CPU upgrade, no GPU upgrade, no RAM upgrade and probably even no storage upgrade. You're not satisfied with your PC? Just buy a new one! That would be really cool.

Reactions: bit_user

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
4 slots and 800W; that's insane. NVidia is utterly inane.

who the f thinks this is a good idea? what are you going to need a 220V wall plug?
In the U.S., a typical electrical wall socket can handle a max of 1,500 watts (on the safe side and if it is a circuit of its own), so it may still be fine - albeit I would plug the display/s into a different circuit, as an 80+ PSU may deliver only 80%, so that's 1,000 watt needed for the GPU, plus for the CPU etc., which would seem to get quite close to when a 15 Amp circuit breaker would trip, or worse.

But yeah, if wanting to run a dual-GPU setup, in NA one may have to look into whether the home wiring can handle it (in particular whether higher amperage is possible - the voltage as such is part of what gets delivered to the house). Not as practical as e.g. in Europe, where a typical home circuit is designed to handle up to 3,000 watts.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
800W would be the max power draw. TDP will be lower. The max power draw for the 4090 is 600W, TDP is 450W. In typical usage, especially gaming, the 4090 never gets close to 600W, usually pulling under 400W. That 800W figure, even if legit, is largely meaningless.

If this thing ends up being a real product with 48GB of RAM, it is going to cost over $3000. The A6000 ADA gen has an MSRP of $6800. This will not be a gaming focused product. If it's 8 slots and 1500W, who cares?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018

Unlikely, or rather depends on definition of gaming. I have a 500ish Watt 4090 and @4K a lot of games without DLSS can struggle for consistent triple-digit framerates.

In the U.S., a typical electrical wall socket can handle a max of 1,500 watts (on the safe side and if it is a circuit of its own), so it may still be fine - albeit I would plug the display/s into a different circuit, as an 80+ PSU may deliver only 80%, so that's 1,000 watt needed for the GPU,

That was a concern of mine as well but everyone told me on reddit in electrical that my current 4090 shouldn't be an issue and stop worrying. 800w however, and that's probably not peak, would be a concern. I'd run a 20A breaker and thicker wire at that point.

Reactions: bit_user

healthy Pro-teen

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
If this is real, which wouldn't surprise me, it is going to be so ridiculously expensive it would only be an e-peen purchase IMHO, although maybe a competitive gamer could justify the purchase. It's still a ridiculous amount of power to play games. Hopefully, it will be purchased and used for scientific endeavors that benefit all of humanity, but I suspect most will be purchased to play games.
Anyone needing a GPU for science would have to go for Quadro, not a Titan that lacks Professional drivers and way less space and power efficient

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
I think I’ll wait a year maybe less after this is released for the 5090 which will be smaller, faster, and likely won’t require two power connectors.

Hooda Thunkett

Prominent
Nov 17, 2021
I think at this point switching to 220v outlets and 30 amp breakers is a when. GPU makers seem largely unconcerned with the power requirements and budget of the average builder these days. And it seems to be working for them.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That was a concern of mine as well but everyone told me on reddit in electrical that my current 4090 shouldn't be an issue and stop worrying. 800w however, and that's probably not peak, would be a concern. I'd run a 20A breaker and thicker wire at that point.
People were telling you to not worry, because the power draw of a 4090 is nothing. Are you aware of how many regular household appliances pull up to 1500W or more? Microwaves, toaster ovens, hair dryers, blenders, portable heaters/air conditioners. 800W is nothing to a typical 15A breaker or the wiring in your house.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
People were telling you to not worry, because the power draw of a 4090 is nothing. Are you aware of how many regular household appliances pull up to 1500W or more? Microwaves, toaster ovens, hair dryers, blenders, portable heaters/air conditioners. 800W is nothing to a typical 15A breaker or the wiring in your house.

Those appliances however are typically already on a 20A breaker. Kitchens rarely are not on their on breaker that is unshared with anything else.

Your "800W is nothing to a typical 15A breaker" is circumstantial. There could be anything on or shared on that breaker. For all I know my TV and AVR are on the same breaker. Also fun fact and I didn't learn this until later on my quest, (15A) breakers are only rated for 80% constant load, so that's 12A in this case.

But I digress, unless next Gen cards figure out how to squeeze more frames out at existing wattage, they are really pushing the envelope. DLSS 3 is already promising and maybe DLSS4 will get us there.