Titan Supercomputer Packs 46,645,248 Nvidia CUDA Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Titan is ridiculously SICK today, but it makes me wonder if such massive power will ever reach personal computers - and if it does, how bloated will softwares be by then.

G

i have always wondered though... what the hell they use these systems for. I know science and simulations but whenever we hear about the latest and greatest super computer, we never hear about the job they are going to perform.. hmmmm..

almost reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where the computer had to keep building it self over and over until it could finally compute the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.. :)

oh well just a random Monster fueled thought and question. and finally the question that is asked most often of new computers.. can play Crysis???

have a great day.

gdub

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The wikipedia article says that they "replaced the internals" by switching out old blades with new ones (sounds like a gillette razor!), so what did they do with the old internals? Donate them? Scrap them?

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
This will probably be used for really far out weather forecasting or the like. seams like kind of a waste given that it could easily run several hundred games of Crysis on ultra detail.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]gdub[/nom]The wikipedia article says that they "replaced the internals" by switching out old blades with new ones (sounds like a gillette razor!), so what did they do with the old internals? Donate them? Scrap them?[/citation]

They probably write them off then let employees take them home...

xendrome

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]and they need this because????[/citation]

Modeling/Forecasting, etc... running simulations, do some research...

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
aside from the stupid people asking stupid questions as usual and they should get a 2 month mute penalty,
I would like to learn why the prefered AMD interlagos over some other intel xeon.
Is this happening because linux actually prefers true cores over HT so they had one option or does this mean that bulldozer/pilledriver have a good side that games and common apps are incapable of utilizing properly those modules?

I was just wondering, now let the nerd gamers rage do its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.