[SOLVED] Titan X (pascal) should fan spin at EFI/BIOS screen?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've just finished returning my Titan X (pascal) water cooled block back to stock air cooler. When I boot into the BIOS/EFI the fan isn't rotating in the Titan X (pascal) ... can anyone confirm if this is "normal" or a problem when in the BIOS/EFI?

I'm certain I reconnected the fan wire to the PCB but perhaps the wires got trapped when securing the two halves.

The GPU does display and doesn't get hot (according to my external thermal probe I placed).

If anyone can report back, much appreciated, save me time pulling the GPU apart again to check that fan wire.

Cheers, Rob.

Solution
When aren't the fans spinning? Do they spin up then drop to nothing? Do they just not spin at all? Have you gone into windows and used msi Afterburner or Evga precision-x to bump gpu fan speeds to 100%? Have you run Firestrike or Furmark or other donut maker to push the gpu naturally?

Those cards all come with a fanless mode which doesn't activate the fans until 60-65°C gpu temp. Some cards have a physical switch, some are software controlled. Neither one may spin in bios, depending on how the card functions normally. You may just get a pulse at post, then nothing or may get nothing at all, or might spin until windows loads.

My old Asus Strix 970 in fanless mode got a 'twitch' at post, not even anything related to a 'spin' but in...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When aren't the fans spinning? Do they spin up then drop to nothing? Do they just not spin at all? Have you gone into windows and used msi Afterburner or Evga precision-x to bump gpu fan speeds to 100%? Have you run Firestrike or Furmark or other donut maker to push the gpu naturally?

Those cards all come with a fanless mode which doesn't activate the fans until 60-65°C gpu temp. Some cards have a physical switch, some are software controlled. Neither one may spin in bios, depending on how the card functions normally. You may just get a pulse at post, then nothing or may get nothing at all, or might spin until windows loads.

My old Asus Strix 970 in fanless mode got a 'twitch' at post, not even anything related to a 'spin' but in Gpu Tweak that could be disabled and the fans spun normally according to the preset curve.

Solution

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This build has no OS yet, so I’m only in BIOS right now. The fan never moves , not even a twitch at power on. Are you saying this might be normal for this specific GPU?

Cheers, Rob