Titan X sounds like a horrible value, unless...

SiriusLeo86

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
So, hear me out. This is a genuine question for a genuine problem.

Over the past 6 months I've owned a GTX 970 (reference), SLi GTX 970 (both reference), GTX 960 (EVGA), another GTX 970 (EVGA) and finally a GTX 980 (MSI). A couple months back I was seconds away from getting the Titan X but decided that it would be better to wait to see what was coming out in the near future. The GTX 980Ti was announced a couple days ago and it seems to perform on par with a Titan X. This usually would have been an obvious choice to go with the 980Ti but I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum. So, here is my question...

If both the GTX 980Ti and Titan X were offered to you once for the SAME price ($599), which would you choose?

This question at face value may sound ridiculous, but hear me out. If you choose the Titan X you'll be faced with a potentially worse overclocking part. Also, if you ever decided to get a second card it would then end up costing quite a bit more, (money is not the issue... it's value). The clear, "value" choice here is the Titan X... but is it really?

It's an interesting question but I'm honestly considering taking the GTX 980Ti... am I insane or do I raise valid points? Is the performance so close that a more tuned GTX980Ti will come on top in the end?

A little bit more about how I plan on using it.
1. I have a small Corsair 240 Air, (I also have the 540 Air but I'm in love with the 240 Air's size). It's set up as a media PC and I reallt enjoy it's small footprint.
2. I REALLY do not like multi-card systems, (I've actually enjoyed my single 980 over my SLi 970's).
3. I do not plan on WaterCooling.
4. I game at 1080p, 1440p, 21:9 Ultra-Wide 1440p and 4k, (when possible).

As a quick edit. When I say, "money isn't a issue" I do not mean that in a, (for lack of a better term) rich way. It simply means I can afford to spend $1000 on a video card but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right choice. That's why I stated it's about, "value". Throwing around money unnecessarily is not how I got to this point in my life. Also, as a side note. Just because someone spends $1000 on a video card doesn't mean they have a lot of money. It could just as easily mean that they're thrifty or well balanced.

The only real differences between them are the 6 extra GB for VRAM and more CUDA cores.

I would personally choose the Titan X.

If you were worrying about temps and overclocking, I think Nvidia is allowing other companies to make coolers for them now (or soon) and I'm pretty sure I saw an EVGA Hybrid AIO water cooler, if you could do that. I know they do that for the 980ti.

If you're really 4k Gaming then the Titan will probably be more suitable, and if "Money is not an issue" then just go for it.

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Both at the same price with stock parts? Titan X.

If I had the option of getting a GALAX 980Ti HOF edition? I would go with that instead, the difference in performance is not huge, and the additional upgrades not allowed to be made on the Titan X would probably improve it more than the loss of a little VRAM.

GALAX's modifications provide significant performance improvements, as do EVGA's K|NGP|N cards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not much call for a Titan X's 12GB of memory unless you are running lots of screens and AA (and by that point a single Titan X or 980Ti wouldn't be enough anyway)

980Ti is missing two SM units and 'only' has 6GB of ram.

Not really seen much in the way of overclocking reviews. With a little less silicon to power I suppose the 980Ti should overclock a little better, but not much, and it would be luck of the draw as usual.

If they were the same price I would probably opt for the Titan X and its black paint job if I were going to keep the cooler.

Manuel12

Honorable
May 5, 2014
I'm with annori, i would choose (and i will) the Titan X, about the temps let me clarify something, the Titan X get around 40-50° (no OC), if you oveclock it, it's up to 80 or even 90°, however, you can use the "All in one Gpu Water cooler" for a CPU in your GPU with this https://store.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g10-red-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket, you gonna get around 40° OC. This is how it looks:

http://i.imgur.com/r2wWtAV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LCgz424.jpg

The people making reviews forget about something, the double VRAM that the Titan X have, it's going to be a big difference in the future, let's remember that the 12gbs are not being completely used with the current software limitations.

So, yup for me the Titan X it's the best choise.

Sorry for my english, isnt my native language.

those coolers have bad cooling of the VRMs. Only some air from a fan will not be enough. Those are fine if you get a bunch of little heatsinks, but I dont think places sell those.

That might be true..... in the future. Who knows, maybe the OP can pass the 6GB threshold with his gaming setup.

I'm of the belief that the Titan X has more value in re-sale right now than it ever will. If you don't really need the 12GB VRAM right now, sell it. When you do need the 12GB VRAM there will be a more powerful solution available that won't look or feel so dated.

SiriusLeo86

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
To everyone I appreciate the feedback. It's always good to see the back and forth of others on this matter.

I'm really interested in the EVGA cooler available for the Titan X. I'm sure it would at least be a good 10c-20c cooler while running much more quietly. I think it runs around $70 or so. I also really like the closed looped cooling solutions as well. Maybe one day I'll bite the bullet and figure out how to setup a watercooling loop. It seems much safer now then when I first had interest 15 years back.

I didn't have a lot of luck with the EVGA Cooler on one of my 970's. I actually had to return that 970 because the ACX Cooler did not fully rest on the GPU core causing the stock temps to exceed 70c in a well ventilated environment. I figured out what caused it but there was little I could do. Two of the four screws holding down the coolers were drilled to shallow causing that side to be elevated higher than the other side.