Question titanxp on a 7 years old computer Upgrade

There's not much point to upgrading from it right now. An RTX 2080 only offers similar performance, aside from the hardware raytracing support in the few games that support it. The only consumer card offering better performance would be a 2080 Ti, but it's only a little faster, and I doubt you would notice any performance difference whatsoever at 1080p with a 3970X. At that resolution, your gaming performance should already be almost entirely CPU-limited. You would undoubtedly see more performance uplift from a processor upgrade, since some IPC improvements have been made since Sandy Bridge. Or, look into getting a new 1440p 144Hz screen, so that graphics card can put more of its available resource to use.

And as far as raytracing support in the 20-series cards goes, aside form not many games supporting it yet, it also causes a large hit to performance. So you would probably be better off waiting to see if next year's cards support raytracing more efficiently.

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
There's not much point to upgrading from it right now. An RTX 2080 only offers similar performance, aside from the hardware raytracing support in the few games that support it. The only consumer card offering better performance would be a 2080 Ti, but it's only a little faster, and I doubt you would notice any performance difference whatsoever at 1080p with a 3970X. At that resolution, your gaming performance should already be almost entirely CPU-limited. You would undoubtedly see more performance uplift from a processor upgrade, since some IPC improvements have been made since Sandy Bridge. Or, look into getting a new 1440p 144Hz screen, so that graphics card can put more of its available resource to use.

And as far as raytracing support in the 20-series cards goes, aside form not many games supporting it yet, it also causes a large hit to performance. So you would probably be better off waiting to see if next year's cards support raytracing more efficiently.

i don t plan to change monitor or cpu, but with next gen Ray tracing, a 2080ti is going to be barely able to run 1080p 120hz