TiVo Mega Offers 24 TB of Storage Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
26,000 hours! Don't get me wrong I love my DVR to catch shows that I would otherwise miss but to store almost 3 years worth of solid TV...what is on anymore that would drive you to need this much recording space? At a point it's just cheaper to buy the seasons on Blu-ray or whatever.

taurine

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Was really considering getting a Tivo until I found out they require a 14.99/mo fee for, basically firmware updates, and if you don't pay it, they shut off your box. Pass.

D34D M34T

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
If you're tracking 4K (Netflix House of Cards for instance) then 24TB is reasonable. I have a 4K 7+ minute video I produced - 12+GB. Figure high quality 4K at about 100GB per hour. I have an 8TB NAS (about $600) for editing/storage.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Is it just me or does 24TB in a RAID 5 sound like a bad idea?

It's just TV. If you are worried about losing stuff then either copy important stuff onto another drive or use RAID 6. Seriously, that is way too much TV for a single family. Go outside and play.

Gazabi

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
And I'm here with my single 640gb hdd and they bring out a 24 tb storage thing for tv shows. sigh. my pc sucks.

That price is ridiculous. I could build something that uses RAID 6, RAID-Z2, &c with 32TB capacity using WD Red drives. With appropriate memory, 6 channel HD Tuner with Cablecard, a good CPU and enclosure for somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Who actually thinks having this much cloud storage is a good idea??

My upload speeds in Michigan are so slow that its not even rational to think that 50GB of cloud storage is worth my time.. and they want to offer well over 1TB to me...? No thanks

Until fast networks are mainstream, this kind of crap just makes me laugh. Even if we had 1gbps up and down in every single home on the planet, backing up and uploading 24TB of data (or even just 12TB) would take a ridiculous amount of time.

D34D M34T said: "If you're tracking 4K (Netflix House of Cards for instance) then 24TB is reasonable. I have a 4K 7+ minute video I produced - 12+GB. Figure high quality 4K at about 100GB per hour. I have an 8TB NAS (about $600) for editing/storage"

No, the difference between your raw video and the video you get from a streaming service is that the stream is already quite compressed, so storing it in an uncompressed format would be a waste. Netflix currently compresses its 4K streams down to around 15mbps, which works out to around just 7GB per hour, similar to the bitrate for typical 720p/1080i broadcasts from cable or satellite providers. Even if the Tivo is re-encoding the video, you're going to see significant artifacts whether the stream is re-compressed or not. And that's assuming the Tivo can even handle 4K video, which it probably can't.

When it comes down to it, there simply isn't much 4K content out there, and there probably won't be for quite some time into the future. Broadcasters and Streaming providers don't even provide content at 1080p Blu-ray quality yet. A 4K stream with a bitrate lower than many 1080i broadcasts for a few shows seems like little more than a pointless gimmick. Content providers are not going to support 4K to any meaningful degree in the near future, and most people are unlikely to see much benefit from replacing their existing HD sets with 4K models.

In any case, I suspect this product is primarily aimed at video hoarders who record anything they might, at some undetermined point in the future, consider watching. And honestly, it seems like a bit of a rip-off at $5000. Six, 4TB drives currently cost around $900 total, and a typical Tivo runs a few hundred dollars. Even considering higher spec equipment and a larger case, there's still a good $3000+ markup in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.